Tips for an excitable pony when hacking in company

MTrewhella1

Visit site
Hi all, I was just hoping someone may have some handy tips when riding an excitable pony when in company. My gelding welsh D has just turned 5 and I have only mainly hacked out alone (due to location and not having anyone to ride with). We are now at a livery yard with some wonderfully understanding liveries and I’m keen as mustard to get hacking out in company more often!

I’ve planned to ride tomorrow and already feel a wee bit nervous. Last time I rode in company my pony became full of spice and although I could hold him back he was bucking and just totally tense and wound up (from the very start to finish!). Now I know in order to overcome this I likely need to ride out in company more often, but I’m stuck in the vicious circle of not wanting to ride in company because he turns loco!

My one saving grace is that his ground work is brilliant and if I had to get off and lead I know this wouldn’t be an issue. However as I’ve planned to hack I would much prefer to ride ?.

Does anyone have any tips for me please? I currently drop the reins and sit deep in the saddle when he gets excited, but unsure what to do when he bucks out of excitement. Do I ignore? Do I just keep driving forward and try to keep his head up? Should I growl and tap with the whip? Any nice feedback much appreciated!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my Arab's can get silly out hacking he jogs leaps and will occasionally buck I tend to just sit it out and use my voice using mainly whoa ? if the bucks or leaps become too much I often growl at him, I do find a good brisk trot will help because his not strong and wont pull or try to bog off and his less likely to buck and leap while trotting.

coblets

Visit site
I’d start off hacking accompanied by one very reliable companion, with you in the lead. Lots of trots and fast walks, possibly a bit of schooling (e.g some leg yield down a path) too to keep him thinking about you being in the saddle!

As for the bucks, he’s still young and developing emotionally. I wouldn’t scold him for them, just focus on keeping him forward.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Make a plan with the person you are hacking with. I'd suggest keeping your pony in the lead and having a steady ride. Walk and trot and if your pony gets wound up when you trot go back to walk. Make sure your pony is good in these circumstances then do the same with the other pony sometimes in the lead. Don't move on to doing anything more exciting until he is settled having a steady ride and is accustomed to it. Try and ignore any messing and just keep calm.
You can move on to a short canter in the lead and other things later once he's behaving.

MTrewhella1

Visit site
@Gloi to be fair you raised a really good point and one that I forgot to add, he is so much better when leading in comparison to riding behind. I think il ensure we lead tomorrow and take the above advice. Boy, do they keep us on our toes!

MTrewhella1

Visit site
One of my Arab's can get silly out hacking he jogs leaps and will occasionally buck I tend to just sit it out and use my voice using mainly whoa ? if the bucks or leaps become too much I often growl at him, I do find a good brisk trot will help because his not strong and wont pull or try to bog off and his less likely to buck and leap while trotting.
@Pinkvboots yes funnily enough I always feel much safer and in control when we’re trotting ?

blitznbobs

Visit site
Shoulder in one way for 10 strides, the shoulder in the other way, then leg yield a bit one way then the other, travers if he knows it… keep his mind on something other than being a twit.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Just saying, my youngster can still get excited sometimes if he sets off behind other horses so I always set off in the lead if he is a bit excited. Once we have ridden a mile or so he is usually happy to go in front or behind but if he does wind up a bit I put him back in the lead. Fortunately now this is just a winter thing ?