Tips for field maintenance please

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive rolled the muddy gateways in my winter fields this morning. Ive got about an acre and a half split into 4 squares, 2 ponies with 2 paddocks each, 1 for winter, 1 for summer. Ive moved them onto the summer paddocks as I dont want the grass to grow too much so the winter ones are now resting. I use a garden roller and garden rake as the areas arent too big, just the gateways really so its not worth buying agri stuff. Ive rolled the ruts flat and raked over the surface to its nice and fine on top. When is the soonest I could reseed, I dont really need the grass but if I dont do something they will turn to a bog as soon as it rains

PurBee

Visit site
When i looked at long range weather forecast a few weeks ago, we’re expecting a few short chilly snaps this month, so i’d hold off for march and seed beginning of april. The young seedlings of grass could die with 0 degree nights.
Depends on your area, climate.

metcheck.com is the site i use, pop in your exact location and look for link for long range forecast.

PurBee

Visit site
When you use hay to fill hay nets save all the seed that drops to the floor then when you have a big bucket full spread that in the gateways rake it and spread it and when it rains and the sun shines it will germinate and grass cover will grow In those places

ive been doing that over the winter....having spent hundreds on grass seed in the recent past i thought i may aswell get something from my expensive hay! Ive got some areas to fill-in this year so looking forward to using my free grass seed ?