Tips for increasing confidence and boldness in a horse XC

Javabb94

Visit site
I would love to have another go at eventing J.

I have done one BE80 and was eliminated at the first XC jump, even though he had schooled over the same course in previous months.

Bit of background J didn't start competing until the age of 12 (couldn't really jump until then either) and is now 15. I have had him those 3 years.

He has really come on SJ to being consistently DC round 1m and schooling 1.10.

He does a decent dressage test and with his great SJ I really want to have another go seeing as my 5 year old who I bought to event has devastatingly been diagnosed with something which means she possibly cannot be worked at all. Although we are doing everything in our power to bring her sound to event - very very unlikely and gutting as she is super talented.

So J when schooling doesn't appear scared or nervous etc however he stops a lot XC for no reason. He will jump most fences but some takes 3 or 4 goes until he will eventually go over. It's really frustrating as I know he can do it. He jumped a lot of BE90 fences etc but he sort of lacks boldness. Yet if he has a lead he will most likely go over.

I know he hasn't done much XC wise (schooled 3 or 4 times) but he hasn't really improved. First time he was used as a lead and the rest he has needed the lead!

I entered an arena event where he only stopped at one XC jump and jumped a skinny a frame and double of pheasant feeders all first time.

I have entered a hunter trial at a BE venue but they have a 65cm beginners class which I will do and then possibly have a go at the 80cm pairs so he has a lead (over BE80 course)

So basically has anyone had a horse like him and how have you improved them? He is so low mileage his age isn't an issue but I would like to enter another few 80's next year and actually get to go on the XC!! He has all the scope and jump!

May seem silly compared to what some people compete at but all I want to do is actually complete a BE!
Thanks

wildcard

Visit site
im not expert but i would recommend not getting a lead over things and try and get him to take his confidence from you and not another horse keep the fences small until you have him confidently jumping everything straight off then slowly increase height, while the fences are small try not to turn away as this will encourage stops, at 65cm most horses can walk over this will help to emphasis of going forward when told to as no other option is available for them. Lots of phraise when he does do them, a good instructor is the key but also you need to be confident yourself if he is lacking this he will learn to get it from you. good luck.

Javabb94

Visit site
Have you hunted him over good jumping country?

No he hasn't hunted - neither have I. I do want to take him though and will look into this

Do you work with an experienced xc/young horse trainer?

Whenever I go XC schooling its a lesson and where I livery has an XC course, I will book a lesson with my XC instructor I think before the hunter trial. I haven't had many lessons on him recently as I was concentrating on my youngster but seeing as she is now not able to work will be able to have more lessons, but Also currently have very expensive vet bills! Instructor is v experienced XC

im not expert but i would recommend not getting a lead over things and try and get him to take his confidence from you and not another horse keep the fences small until you have him confidently jumping everything straight off then slowly increase height, while the fences are small try not to turn away as this will encourage stops, at 65cm most horses can walk over this will help to emphasis of going forward when told to as no other option is available for them. Lots of phraise when he does do them, a good instructor is the key but also you need to be confident yourself if he is lacking this he will learn to get it from you. good luck.

Thanks for this will stop with the lead - I always make sure I give him plenty of praise, I think as well I need to do more with him so in effect it becomes 'normal' to jump XC fences

Thanks all for suggestions so far

Dusty85

Visit site
Hi there
Again no great expert, but my horse hadnt done much XC at all when i first got him last year. (He's 8 now). He was very fast/pulling whilst galloping but then almost backwards when it came to a fence. I have regularly taken him XC schooling (I try to do some form of XC every fortnight) and he is now loads better. We still have to odd confidence wobble when seeing something new for the first time, but he's now doing BE100 fences happily.

So I would recommend lots of XC exposure (small amounts at a time so not to blow his brain) and if its not possible to do little bits frequently, taking a friend on a more confident horse that can give him a lead.

Agree with what someone else has said about not turning him away. also dont let him walk backwards. Try to show him something new each time (but not overly complicated)

Good luck and Im sure he will come good eventually- mine seemed to have a light bulb moment!

AnShanDan

Visit site
Sorry to hear your young horse is not good. It's so disappointing when they have their whole careers still ahead :(

About your other horse, I def. think they can still become bolder in their teens. Friend's horse was always eliminated XC when she bought him aged 12, but he went on to do double clears at PN/100 with her and schooled over Novice fences without any problems eventually.

Only thing to add, is that I really believe that challenging hacking, especially alone, can build up confidence in the partnership, which then helps when you go XC. So, if you can, get out hacking for miles over every type of country and cover all the terrain you can, up and down hills, through woods, over streams etc. etc. It does help.

Good luck.

Jnhuk

Visit site
An alternative to what already has been suggested is jumpcross. The jumps are more recognisable as 'jumps' but riding round the course is more like having to do an XC course.

I found doing a few jumpcross with one of my horses very helpful prep for ODEs as well as XC schooling etc...

Javabb94

Visit site
Hi there
Again no great expert, but my horse hadnt done much XC at all when i first got him last year. (He's 8 now). He was very fast/pulling whilst galloping but then almost backwards when it came to a fence. I have regularly taken him XC schooling (I try to do some form of XC every fortnight) and he is now loads better. We still have to odd confidence wobble when seeing something new for the first time, but he's now doing BE100 fences happily.

So I would recommend lots of XC exposure (small amounts at a time so not to blow his brain) and if its not possible to do little bits frequently, taking a friend on a more confident horse that can give him a lead.

Agree with what someone else has said about not turning him away. also dont let him walk backwards. Try to show him something new each time (but not overly complicated)

Good luck and Im sure he will come good eventually- mine seemed to have a light bulb moment!

Thanks :) that sounds similar to mine, pulls inbetween then backs off

Got 2/3 baby hunter trials lined before season finishes then we will hopefully do some 80s. My yard has a BE XC course so will get him up there little and often. :)

Sorry to hear your young horse is not good. It's so disappointing when they have their whole careers still ahead :(

About your other horse, I def. think they can still become bolder in their teens. Friend's horse was always eliminated XC when she bought him aged 12, but he went on to do double clears at PN/100 with her and schooled over Novice fences without any problems eventually.

Only thing to add, is that I really believe that challenging hacking, especially alone, can build up confidence in the partnership, which then helps when you go XC. So, if you can, get out hacking for miles over every type of country and cover all the terrain you can, up and down hills, through woods, over streams etc. etc. It does help.

Good luck.

Thanks - had a good cry tonight looking at my youngsters XC pictures, I just hope I can get her sound enough to event, such a waste of a talented horse if not :(

Will try the hacking - have woods 1/2 mile away that is miles of off road hacking across fells.

Lots of hunter trials/XC schooling and hunting if possible.

Thanks as above got lots lined up :) will get him hunting aswell

Hunting!!

My horse was a wuss until he did a full season hunting and learnt to cross any country and jump anything!

Thanks :) this gives me hope, all I want to do is do BE and it seems every time I try something goes wrong - hopefully hunting will work!

An alternative to what already has been suggested is jumpcross. The jumps are more recognisable as 'jumps' but riding round the course is more like having to do an XC course.

I found doing a few jumpcross with one of my horses very helpful prep for ODEs as well as XC schooling etc...

Always loved look of this :) don't have any locally but I think our area is getting some next year :)

Kokopelli

Visit site
Louie is a massive wimp xc. I have photos of him clearing a 6" high log by 3ft! Lol. I've just found I have to keep everything small for him (atm that means 2ft3) he can trot into it all and it not take him by surprise and if needs be he can jump from a standstill. We hack loads in the woods and I try to get him to jump everything and anything I can find. Hes getting a lot better with the more exposure he gets. Like you I would love to be able to BE him as he's mega scopey just a huge wimp.

lucemoose

Visit site
i lunged my baby tb over loads of XC fences, and did lots of inhand work over them too like running over ditches and through bank complexes with her. Weird I know but I didnt know her that well at all so wanted to hang out with her first! She has since never had a stop XC! Just so bold, as I think I let her find her own way over fences and then when I got on to go XC she had already found her feet.

Javabb94

Visit site
Louie is a massive wimp xc. I have photos of him clearing a 6" high log by 3ft! Lol. I've just found I have to keep everything small for him (atm that means 2ft3) he can trot into it all and it not take him by surprise and if needs be he can jump from a standstill. We hack loads in the woods and I try to get him to jump everything and anything I can find. Hes getting a lot better with the more exposure he gets. Like you I would love to be able to BE him as he's mega scopey just a huge wimp.

Thanks :) I definitely think I need to expose him more to it
I have found another Ht with a 2ft 3 novice so will do that and then there is one at home the week after so aim to do as much as I can before next season! He is as fit as a fiddle so he should be ok :)

i lunged my baby tb over loads of XC fences, and did lots of inhand work over them too like running over ditches and through bank complexes with her. Weird I know but I didnt know her that well at all so wanted to hang out with her first! She has since never had a stop XC! Just so bold, as I think I let her find her own way over fences and then when I got on to go XC she had already found her feet.

Thanks - this sounds quite a sensible approach as he does gain confidence from me when leading if he doesn't like something! He doesn't really like water or dropping into water so may just take him in in hand and walk him in and out :)

asset2004

Visit site
Get hunting! Perfect time to start now and will teach him to go over any ground and find an extra leg. Definitely recommend it for any horse that's a bit backwards

Poorlypony

Visit site
Along the same vein as hunting (but doesn't involve all day and cheaper) is team chasing. It was the only way I could razz my extremely careful show jumper up enough to take me round pn courses. I would start behind and then sometimes take the lead half way round.