Tips for keeping my hands still/maintaining contact?

orsceno1

Visit site
Hi all
I have issues when I am riding keeping my rein contact constant and even. I tend to be very tense down one side and seem to be unable to keep hold of the contact - the reins seem to slip away somehow despite me gripping them for dear life! (probably part of the issue!) Just wondered if anyone had any good tips for helping me maintain a steady even contact? I feel like I have forgotten how to ride at the moment!

Tnavas

Visit site
The good old 'Slippery Rein disease' as my instuctor would call it.

Consider schooling in web reins and colouring the little leather strips with nail varnish. Then keep an eye on the marks - with just your eyes.

Try to think soft with your body and keep your elbows softly bent. When you rise to the trot remember to allow your elbows to open and that when you sit your elbows need to bend again. Also think as you rise to rise between your hands.

Big thing to remember though is to

'Check and Correct your position' before every movement you do. Improving your riding is self discipline along with 'eyes on the ground'

Ebbw

Visit site
The good old 'Slippery Rein disease' as my instuctor would call it.

Hi, my name is Ebbw and I'm a chronic slippery rein disease sufferer. However I have undergone extensive rehab and am much improved.

I found it very difficult to keep hold of the reins. I thought any type of 'holding' was bad. It is only relatively recently, with the help of an excellent instructor, that I have begun to understood what I should be doing with my hands, arms etc to create a good living contact.

Evelyn has a great idea, continetial reins are helpful in letting you know when you are letting go.
I find I get better results with my contact when I think about letting my shoulder and elbow joints be springy and free. It is these that provide the supporting but light contact rather than the total abandonment of the reins.

me-julie

Visit site
Dont look at your hands, if you can do safely (ie on a lungeline) ride with your eyes shut, that way you will have to "feel" the contact on the reins, make sure your hands are soft, not gripping on for dear life, to do this imagine you are holding a squeezy ball in both hands and to hold it without squishing it means your hands need to be slightly open, the rein is kept in place purely by the bend in it as it passes through your fingers, and the second curve as it comes out the top of your hand, have your thumbs slightly bent ie not extending further forwards than your knuckles of your fingers. To increase contact to your horses mouth to give a signal or ask for bend etc you will simply squish the invisible ball a little by closing your fingers. if you fight with the horses mouth the reins will be pulled through your fingers,think about your breathing to relax your sides, lift your diaphragm up as you breath in and relax your shoulders as you breath out, allow your elbows to absorb the horses head motion. Like i said if you can do then try with your eyes closed, you can concentrate on your position and feel your horse moving beneath you much better like this.

arlosmum

Visit site
Best tip for still, 'quiet' hands:
practice walking up & down stairs with a teacup or mug full of water in each hand. To improve balance & increase lower leg strength, stand on 1 leg (alternate legs!!) to wash up, clean teeth, wash hair etc

Olliecp77

Visit site
Its a tough one, maybe try "rein bows" I found they helped me and also a balance strap so I wasn't leaning on the horse mouth when rising and trying to keep an even contact.

becca1305

Visit site
Rubber reins = a defo. Colour if needed!
A good instructor really helps!
Whenever you feel yourself getting stiff or 'Latched' particularly onto one rein (take a half-halt if needed) then roll your shoulder back in the socket as well as deep inhaling and exhaling a couple of times. Try to settle with a little more 'weight' down the back of the arm to the elbow to ensure your hands dont drop low, fix, and then bounce. A firm but gentle contact is essential so 'taking a feel down the rein' becomes exactly that; squeezing the fingers as tho ringing out a sponge which you cant do with washing line reins or open fingers! I teach a lady who struggles with this disease and occasionally becomes a one rein limpet :p but shes getting there :).

camilla4

Visit site
Best advice I can give: firstly, make sure you are wearing gloves with a good grip! Secondly, try taking your focus off your hands and concentrate on your elbows and shoulders. Keeping shoulder back and down, but not tense and stiff, and letting your elbows drop as though there are light weights attached, will help with hands.

It can be conquered, don't worry - it's a very common problem!