Tips for rider to overcome fear of traffic

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
****PLEASE DO NOT POST NEGATIVE TRAFFIC STORIES****

Hi all, as above please no comments on how you would never hack in traffic etc, horror stories etc I completely understand and sympathise but this thread is not a hacking on roads vs not thread it is a how to overcome RIDERS fear of traffic.

I have a new pony who is fantastic in traffic, when I viewed her, her old owner was rode her down the road and had a huge tractor (much bigger than the average) and trailer go past her (from behind) and she did not bat and eyelid. When I rode her home after buying her as we were waiting to turn into my village a skip lorry with covers flapping wizzed past us in the pouring rain, again not one eyelid batted. She's been ridden down some awful roads and back from the pub at 2am in the snow so all in all she is not bothered by traffic in the least.

I however am a bit. Where we live is very narrow single track lanes with passing places. The pony is used to these lanes. The ground is about 3 foot plus above the road surface so when cars do pass it's very close. I am fine with this. Where I get a bit worried is actually where the road widens out a bit, I'd say it's about a car and a half width road so cars passing have to slow down to get past but going past ponies it feels very close as they don't always slow down enough and aren't over the opposite side of the road a cars width away of you get what I mean.

I tend to tense up and worry when cars or vans etc are heading towards me due to past experiences and obviously this will eventually translate down to pony. At present I plan to only hack with a companion on foot as I'm coming back form a serious leg injury so I have a barrier between me and the cars. Sadly I don't have anyone to hack with on horseback with me at present.

So anyone have any tips to stop me worrying and possibly making my pony worried? Breathing techniques, distractions etc?

Again, please no horror stories, positives only 😁

Pinkvboots

Visit site
There is a tapping technique you can use daily you can get the idea of how to do it on you tube, I used it when I lost confidence after breaking my ankle it did help me and if I find I go through a wobble period I will go back to it.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
There is a tapping technique you can use daily you can get the idea of how to do it on you tube, I used it when I lost confidence after breaking my ankle it did help me and if I find I go through a wobble period I will go back to it.

That sound good, does it have a name or shall I just search you tube for tapping technique? 😀

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Keep your ears open so you hear vehicles approaching in good time. Try to be on part of the road with good visibility so they can see you well ahead and then keep well out in the middle of the road until they slow down. Once they slow down than them and move in. This way you will avoid having cars try and squeeze past you where they can't fit safely. When you are nervous the temptation is to hide in the gutter but if you are out with someone on foot next to you , you should be able to control how vehicles go past you on a quiet lane.

Landcruiser

Visit site
There is a reason to be careful - lots of drivers drive like prats past horses. The best thing you can do to feel more confident is to be seen (lots of Hi Viz and to own your space. I carry a longish crop with a large piece of high viz material (cannibalized from a tabard) which I stick out at right angles into the road, and swoosh around if cars are approaching quickly. Horse is totally de - spooked to it of course, I can swish it round his head without him even twitching an ear.
Meet driver's eye, chin up, own that space, and say thanks if they behave appropriately.

fabbydo

Visit site
We live in a similar area. Both mine are fab in traffic but I feel your pain. It's very easy for your head to become filled with 'what ifs'. Could you ride in the middle of the road and then trot on to a passing place if a car comes? By trotting on, the driver will hopefully see you are making an effort to get out if the way in a safe place. You could also only move over when you are sure the car has slowed down enough. My headcam makes me feel safer ( little logic to that, I know!).

cauda equina

Visit site
Wear masses of hi viz, and ride in the middle of the road (assuming the visibility is good and you can be seen) so that traffic has to slow to a crawl
Only tuck in the side to let things go past once they're going really really slowly
And remember that your pony is fine with traffic. Trust her. You just need to get your own nerves under control

hobo

Visit site
Another one who rides in the middle of the road pulling in when I hear them slow down. I also face them if it is narrow and want them to pass. Smile a lot to the drivers, indicate that you know they are there and will pull in at a safe place. Thank them loads, smile and they will slow. Mine is not like yours and is heavy traffic shy but we get by with doing these things and smiling helps you and pony relax.

Lintel

Visit site
As long as the pony is sure enough of themselves not to take worry from you I would just crack on with it. Best way to handle thing like this is to face them head on :)
If you can find a confident friend to go with too!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yes to owning the road and taking control of the situation. Lots of smiling and waving with it to keep them sweet but hold the road until it us safe for them to pass. I often ride past passing places then turn to face the vehicle and wait. When they stop I ride back past them before turning to follow them. Lots of thank yous and thumbs ups so you can get away with being a bit bossy about it all.

If I have to stand still while a vehicle goes past me I give my horse a treat as it passes. Keeps her happy and gives me something else to concentrate on.

The key for me is being active, not passive. As soon as I'm passive the brain goes into overdrive with what ifs, I freeze and the horse gets worried. So staying in the active, assertive frame of mind really helps. Sounds like you've got a gem of a horse so trust her and let yourself gain confidence from her.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
When I got the Old Appy, I was scared of busses and tractors, because of the Appy before her, I found once that I realise how good she was, that I gradually got to the point where I could relax. We reached the point where we could nanny others and ride down ain roads with no issues, even over motorway bridges!

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
There is a reason to be careful - lots of drivers drive like prats past horses. The best thing you can do to feel more confident is to be seen (lots of Hi Viz and to own your space. I carry a longish crop with a large piece of high viz material (cannibalized from a tabard) which I stick out at right angles into the road, and swoosh around if cars are approaching quickly. Horse is totally de - spooked to it of course, I can swish it round his head without him even twitching an ear.
Meet driver's eye, chin up, own that space, and say thanks if they behave appropriately.

Also a hatcam might be a good idea. I feel much more confident as I know any dangerous driving could be reported to the police if I saw fit

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Thanks all, just been out for a little walk today with a friend on foot again and as usual traffic was not problem but she spent a lot if time spooking at the hedgerows, as a few people have said actually marching down the middle of the lane with the foot person on the hedge side she was better as she really really does not care about cars. I am slowly learning to trust this so so hopefully soon the spooking at verges will stop and we'll just be plodding along nicely.

I am always fully hi-vised up (tabard, saddlecloth and gloves and foot walker had different colour tabbard on too) and I have a hat cam all of which does help with confidence :)

I've looked up the tapping thing as well and had a go last night so will have another look later and work out what I want to say as the mantra thingy.

Thanks all, again anymore suggestions welcome 😀

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I don't venture out on the the roads without my ninja cyclist. He is much more mobile than a sidewalker, so can spring into action as needed. My mare is good in traffic, but there are so many prats around that the roads just aren't safe anymore.

He rides behind us most of the time, and only actively manages traffic if the situation requires it, but it is so reassuring knowing that he is there.

image.jpeg

Plus he rides my old bike which has a rear view mirror on the handlebars, so he can easily spot vehicles approaching from behind if we haven't heard them.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have been in your position (twice). Both times, I bought a massive horse who wasn't frightened of any traffic and rode with a companion until I was comfortable on the roads on my own. I also introduced solo hacking on very short routes.
My best tip is to ride in the middle of a narrow road, so that the drivers know there isn't room to pass you, then look at the driver and deliberately move over to the side of the road to allow them to pass. Most will go past slowly and thank you for not keeping them waiting.
I will say, too, that your pony is unlikely to worry about the traffic just because you do, depending on her history. IME, it is only the unconfident ones who think 'rider is worried, so there must be something to worry about, I thought so too'. Those like my big mares are happy to say 'sit still and stop worrying'. If you feel yourself tensing, concentrate on relaxing your muscles and breathing slowly. You will learn to trust your pony and begin to be more relaxed as time goes on.

ETA hi-viz leg wraps are the most eye-catching safety equipment that you can wear.

Branna

Visit site
Keep your ears open so you hear vehicles approaching in good time. Try to be on part of the road with good visibility so they can see you well ahead and then keep well out in the middle of the road until they slow down. Once they slow down than them and move in. This way you will avoid having cars try and squeeze past you where they can't fit safely. When you are nervous the temptation is to hide in the gutter but if you are out with someone on foot next to you , you should be able to control how vehicles go past you on a quiet lane.

Agree totally with this. Be proactive rather than reactive to traffic.
BHS guidance (if I'm remembering correctly!) is to ride approx 1m from the side of the road, I would be at least that far off and move over as traffic slows. Make eye contact with drivers if you can, nod and mouth thank you if you don't want to take a hand off the rein.
Also if she is looky towards the hedgerows I would be practising a bit of leg yield and shoulder in on the road when its quiet to keep her attention and so you feel more proactive.

eggs

Visit site
I found singing helps as you have to keep breathing. I see that you are already going out in Hi-Viz - do you also have some on your pony?

Don't hug the kerb - give yourself a little room so that you have got a space to move into if necessary. One

One of the things I do is to wrap fluorescent tape all along a long schooling whip and when I hear traffic approaching I slightly turn my hand so that the stick is pointing out at right angles from me and my horse - drivers don't seem to want to hit the stick so they give me more room.

PS I am very jealous that you have a pony that is so good in traffic!!

Molasses

Visit site
I ride out with a dog it really slows people
Only on single lane roads I stress, not very busy but a car a minute type of roads. Cars always slow massively down for a dog off the lead.

People are more wary of a loose dog than a horse. The dog is super good to heal and no danger of getting hit, but i do notice most drivers slow way below 10mph when they see the dog. Without the dog they go past at normal driving speed. Also she wears a little high vis vest too. Totally recommend riding out with a good dog.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I spent many years riding my horse by itself through Central London and my advice to you would be to do the British Horse Society - Road Safety course as this will provide you with some good hands on tips and give you additional confidence. As stated above wear Hi-Viz and I recommend a long sleeved Hi-Vis jacket so that other road users can clearly see your hand signals.

Annagain

Visit site
Sing, something you remember, I used to get people singing nursery rhymes. Loud, out of tune and if you have a companion sing together. It makes you breathe, laugh and relax as much as possible. It's one of those, the more you put in,the more you get out things, so go for it, as loud as you can.

This with bells on. I Will Survive is my favourite!

Also, establish why you're bothered and think about what you can do to mitigate it i.e. If you're worried about not being seen wear loads and loads of hi-viz; if you're worried about the volume of traffic, choose a really quiet time like early on a Sunday morning; if you're worried about inconsiderate drivers, invest in a hat cam and a hi-viz that says you're filming. Do all of these and more if necessary to make you feel safe.

I'd try to ride out with at least two others to begin with and put yourself in the middle. If you can only find one other, ride 2 abreast where possible with your friend on the outside.

Think about your route in advance and have a plan for certain situations e.g. trot away from blind corners, know where you're going to stand at a cross roads etc so you feel in control of all these scenarios and don't have to think "what do I do here?" when you approach certain spots.

Revise your hand signals and don't be afraid to use them. You are the one in control of situations, TELL drivers what you want them to do. Once they've done it, show your appreciation clearly.

It will get easier the more you do it, I promise.

J&S

Visit site
Having had a really dreadfully traffic shy horse I do know how you feel. I now ride a perfect horse and a perfect pony. I trust them both implicitly. Have faith in your pony, rejoice in how brave she is, feel proud when you ride down the road knowing that she will not flinch no matter what comes along. Sit up and face the drivers with a smile and a gracious wave!