Tips for softening horse on approach to jump

Quartz

Visit site
I have had lots of problems jumping my horse. Its has got slightly better as I have become more confident and better balanced. However, he is a great jumper thats for sure, but the only way I can describe it is he feels really tense coming up to the jump. I have been told to keep a tight contact on his mouth otherwise he goes full belt at it, but this seems to just get his head up and make him more anxious. We end up approaching in a tense trot, as if he is unsure, head up and then take off at last minute (like a cat jump) very uncomfy and then darts off after the jump, I can now regain control after the jump and get him soft again until he sees the next jump. My instructor is dead certain on going straight to the jump no circles to soften him up, so need straight tips please. Also do put poles on the ground before the jump to stop the rushing, but this is making him hesitant.

Have read that sponging the outside rein instead of both can help control the speed, but its either rushing full blast or very slow and unsteady!!! Also he puts head up before jump and then then very down after jump.

Really tips for softening him up and maybe getting his confidence. As I said he is actually a superb jumper, but the problems have come from when I first got him and was very nervous. Have done loads of pole work on the ground, he is very soft and no problems there. Then a tiny cross again very soft and no problems.

Thank you!!!

LouS

Visit site
What's he like on the flat? From what you've said I'd change instructor.

With a horse like that I'd do a lot of flatwork and polework to improve the canter and his balance.

I would put canter poles (use square poles or planks so they don't shift if he stands on them) into each fence to regulate his stride. You don't want to get to a fence in trot because his legs are all in the wrong place to jump from, so I would approach in trot than get him to pick up canter over the poles. I would then pull up in a straight line after the fence, back to halt every single time until he comes straight back to you, don't let him go round the corner, just ride him into the arena fence if you need to but he must stop.

He sounds quite worried about it, it could just be a confidence thing but have you had all physical checks done? If a horse is uncomfortable/in pain it can often make them worry about jumping and exerting themselves.

Quartz

Visit site
I am trying to find an instructor, but am in rural France so hard to find one to come to me. Have not got a van so cannot travel.

My current instructor is also the YO of my yard and the only instructor there. She is quite young (late 20's). She drives me mad as I have research this so much, but she just will not listein.

Anyway, he is good on the flat although he does have a habit of cantering on his front rather than working from behind, but after a few transitions I can get him using his hindquarters now. He does rush against contact and is worse in group lessons than working on his own. He seems to get very competitive or anxious when in a group lesson. He is still quite young (rising 8). I have had all the tests done and all clear, is due for teeth next month as these need doing. Am wondering also about his girth, as this may be bothering him as have noticed it is slipping forward so may be pinching?

Spudlet

Visit site
It might be worth getting the fit of his saddle as a whole checked, it could be pinching him when he jumps higher.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
try to do exercises that get as many strides in before a jump as possible. you do this by riding a serpentine going towards the jump and getting him concentrating. then slowly soften the shape to a wiggley line. you should use your seat and legs to do the turns, not your hands.

Try not to use your hands to steady him; sit up and use your seat and stomache muscles and lower leg (kept long and forwards) and keep your body 'up' going over a fence- the horse should come up to you, not the other way round. just round your shoulders a bit.

Keep your hands either side of the pommel and keep them soft and receiving. It is difficult with a horse that puts his head in the air but he will bascule over a jump if your hands are low.

as always ABORT THE FOETAL POSITION!!

spike123

Visit site
I agree with all the above comments. Sounds like your horse may well be getting pinched by the saddle on landing. I would work on circling your horse in a light seat over some canter poles and ensuring he is soft and relaxed before introducing a jump at all. If he is rushing and hesitant he is most likely worried .Definitely work on a circle and also working on the number of strides between poles in a straight line but remaining in a light seat throughout should help him to relax.

silvershadow81

Visit site
Sounds quite similar to my girl when we started out.

you definatly need to keep him moving forwards and on a regular stride and tempo, holding him in his mouth is NOT going to help, it will make him much more anxious and tense and he will not have the impulse to jump the fence naturally- hence why you are getting the cat jumps

go for small fences, to build both your confidence up and get it right, circle in front of fences every now and again so that he is not predicting when he is jumping, soften your hands and keep your lower leg on- even though he may feel to me moving quickly into the fence (I found this alien when my instructor told me to maintain leg contact even though my horse was rushing full pelt at a fence!)

Try poles before the fence to maintain the tempo

then advance to gridwork- but lots of little cross poles and change the distance between them all so that you start with one stride, then a bounce to one stride then to three strides- it will all help to bring back rytham and confidence

oh- and for the head coming up high- my mare always has and always will jump like that- one thing to try would be a big fluffy noseband- he will need to naturally lower his head to see the fence

Good luck xxx

Mithras

Visit site
Gridwork, bounces, placing poles and flatwork with lots of transitions to get him listening to you. Also canter "squares" to get him using his hind legs instead of trailing them behind him. But also look to your own position - is he pulling you forwards with him, or are you balanced and able to sit and steady him - does he listen to your body position ie if you sit up, does he wait for you - do you sit up on landing or tip forwards?

What does he do when you canter to the jumps? Is he tense and head up because he is worried about jumping from a trot?

If coming in canter (I can't see how you will establish a rythmn jumping in trot), use your corners to steady him but try to sit still on the last 3 strides. Deep into your corner, use your outside rein to steady him (don't be afraid of being quite strong if he is rude and doesn't listen to you), give with your inside rein, inside leg on, all to help him balance and feel confident.

I have to say I took on a 12 year old horse like this and found it impossible to change him. I got him a bit better balanced and slightly more listening, but his basic technique remaines the same, and I found it easier to adapt to his way of going. Ironcially I had to change him to a very mild, non-metal bit as if you attempt to force him to slow down too much, he worries. But an 8 year old you might still have a chance of changing to your way reasonably well.

Quartz

Visit site
try to do exercises that get as many strides in before a jump as possible. you do this by riding a serpentine going towards the jump and getting him concentrating. then slowly soften the shape to a wiggley line. you should use your seat and legs to do the turns, not your hands.

Try not to use your hands to steady him; sit up and use your seat and stomache muscles and lower leg (kept long and forwards) and keep your body 'up' going over a fence- the horse should come up to you, not the other way round. just round your shoulders a bit.

Keep your hands either side of the pommel and keep them soft and receiving. It is difficult with a horse that puts his head in the air but he will bascule over a jump if your hands are low.

as always ABORT THE FOETAL POSITION!!

I tend not to lean forwards when jumping, just going up with my body instead. I fell off too many times before!!!!!! My position is now quite stable, although occasionally loose a stirrup when he cat jumps! Interesting aobut the hands as my instructor is always making me have very short reins so they cannot be low or near the pommel. Will try this. Thanks

Quartz

Visit site
Gridwork, bounces, placing poles and flatwork with lots of transitions to get him listening to you. Also canter "squares" to get him using his hind legs instead of trailing them behind him. But also look to your own position - is he pulling you forwards with him, or are you balanced and able to sit and steady him - does he listen to your body position ie if you sit up, does he wait for you - do you sit up on landing or tip forwards?

He did used to really pull me forward on landing, I often fell off or ended up on his neck. So if nothing else I have achieved a secure position now!! I can now steady him after the jump, but not before. I sit up on landing to get him back and balanced. But then we tense again going into the next jump, head high and very hesitant and tense and then dart!!!

What does he do when you canter to the jumps? Is he tense and head up because he is worried about jumping from a trot?

Have not cantered a jump in some time.

If coming in canter (I can't see how you will establish a rythmn jumping in trot), use your corners to steady him but try to sit still on the last 3 strides. Deep into your corner, use your outside rein to steady him (don't be afraid of being quite strong if he is rude and doesn't listen to you), give with your inside rein, inside leg on, all to help him balance and feel confident.

I have to say I took on a 12 year old horse like this and found it impossible to change him. I got him a bit better balanced and slightly more listening, but his basic technique remaines the same, and I found it easier to adapt to his way of going. Ironcially I had to change him to a very mild, non-metal bit as if you attempt to force him to slow down too much, he worries. But an 8 year old you might still have a chance of changing to your way reasonably well.
[/B]

He is in a simple bit but now has a figure eight noseband