Tips for toilet training a 5 month old puppy please!!!

Quartz

Visit site
We just got a 5 month old puppy, she arrived last night. I walked her about 5 different times up until midnight last night, but not once did she do her business. I was not too surprised as all very new, so expected a few surprises this morning, and she didn't let me down!:) She has eaten and drank this morning, but she doesn't associate being outside with going to the toilet. She is just sooo excited in the big garden!!

We have another dog, but he is 8 and came fully toilet trained when he was a puppy. I take them out together to try and encourage her.

I think I am expecting to much of her in her first 24 hours with us!! But would like some tips as how to toilet train.

Have tried taking her out 15 mins after eating, as suggested by breeder. 30 mins after eating, one hour after eating. But still nothing yet!!!!

CAYLA

Visit site
It could indeed be a new settling in period thing or she is not house trained. Did they give a reason as to giving her up at 5 months and what breed is she?
I have a puppy guide if you would like to read it send me you email addy, it covers toilet training, but the easiest way by far to start is to restrict space (indoor crate) she needs to start to learn to hold and needs a guide. All is explained in the guide if you have never used a crate.

Toffee44

Visit site
Just remember when she does finally perform make her feel the best dog in the world!!!

Are you using a code word as well. I just say "wee wee time" at night and first thing and mine fly out the door, do their stuff and come back in. I still treat mine last thing at night after wee wee time.

Quartz

Visit site
It could indeed be a new settling in period thing or she is not house trained. Did they give a reason as to giving her up at 5 months and what breed is she?
I have a puppy guide if you would like to read it send me you email addy, it covers toilet training, but the easiest way by far to start is to restrict space (indoor crate) she needs to start to learn to hold and needs a guide. All is explained in the guide if you have never used a crate.

She came from a breeder, and is a medium poodle. It was my husband who went to get her so did not ask why she was not trained. She is a lovely little thing apart from the not house trained thing.

Will pm you my email address for the guide. Thanks very much

Quartz

Visit site
Just remember when she does finally perform make her feel the best dog in the world!!!

Are you using a code word as well. I just say "wee wee time" at night and first thing and mine fly out the door, do their stuff and come back in. I still treat mine last thing at night after wee wee time.

When she does go outside, I say pee pee and give lots of strokes and good girls. My other dog spins around in circles when he wants a pee, or the answer is yes to is it biscuit time. He is the same breed, so hoping she will pick up on all his tricks!!!

DW Team

Visit site
With our girl it has been time. Hurry up is our girls key word. We take her out and play and stay in the garden how ever long it takes. When she does go it is lots and lots of praise. She then gets her favourite toy to play with.

Good luck with your new dog.