Tips/Help on a bed wetting

Kenzo

Visit site
Hello guys,

We have recently bought another pug, she’s just turning 3 and is a delightful little thing, if you know much about pugs, you’ll understand me when I say she’s still very puppy like.

Anyway, the problem I think she’s a bed wetter,now I can’t really comment on what previous training she’s had as she is now in her 3rd home and the lady I bought her from was very honest and said she can have the odd accident, which again being a 2 yr pug, I can relate to as we had the same with ours (usually giddy tiddles or when in season), so not an issue and we are doing what we can to re-fresh her training so she follows suit with our other pug (I know how to house train byw just so you know :)) as our other proved very easy (from a pup) but how do I get this little lady out of the habit of urinating on her own bed, this is not something I’ve had to resolve before.

I think it’s a case that she’ll do it if left for a long period of time, night time for example, rather than tiddling on the floor (laminate floor thankfully) I think she’s one of these that may of got into the habit of tiddling on her bed rather than on the floor, might not be the case but I think it could be.

She does tend to drink quite a lot, compared to our other pug which doesn’t really drink much, she’s always on the go and generally looks in normal health, as in as far as not suspecting there is a reason for her to be over drinking shall we say, obviously what goes in one end must come out the other, but I can’t be letting her out every few hours through the night, I’ll never get any sleep! :confused:

Any feed back on this would be really helpful and of course gratefully received.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'd get her checked out for a UTI/something else at the vet. It's unusual for a dog to soil their own bed happily. Also, chuck her bed out, if it smells of her wee she is likely to keep peeing on it. My dog lies on towels and an old fleece because he eats anything else, does him fine!

Is she neutered?

You can restrict her access to water (restrict, not deprived, IE she gets so much access to water at certain times and enough to cover the bottom of her bowl at night)

Suelin

Visit site
I had this problem with an Italian Greyhound. Would pee and foul in her bed and lay in it. Nightmare!!! My washing machine went into overtime. It took a long time (over a year) but I have resolved it.

I had tried using a crate but to no avail so in desperation I got out our cat carrier and she now sleeps in that. I give her newspaper to lie on which she shreds up to make a lovely warm bed. We also leave the radio on for her (she knows far more about world current affairs than I do thanks to BBC World Service!!) and a nightlight. She also wears a little coat to bed, a knitted one, to make sure she is cosy. Believe it or not this has worked and she is now so much happier, I think mainly because she can relax and sleep. We never, ever told her off for any indiscretion and praised her when she had been good.

She was a rehome to us, we were her 3rd home in 3 years poor little soul so was highly insecure.

The above was arrived at after all kinds of things were tried and thankfully now all seems well. Good luck with yours it is so frustrating when you can't put your finger on the reasons why.

CAYLA

Visit site
I would also rule out incontinence and a UTI before you proceed any further with training and as CC said chuck her bed and invest in a sheet/some sheets of vet bed and if her bed is larger than her downsize the bed make it very small so that she can literally only snuggle up in it.
What kind of bed is it?

Kenzo

Visit site
Thank you for your replies, just caught up on them now.

I am glad to report we had a dry night last night which I was really pleased with.

I am praising her when she tiddles outside and letting her out as much as I can.

Oh yes, I certainly removed the bed she tiddled on, it went in the wash straight away, I wouldn’t of left it as I know that she’d only form a habit of doing it again what with the smell etc and the fact I didn’t want her laying on a smelly damp bed. Thankfully I had another bed which I covered with a dustbin bag, but then layered up on top with towels, so should she do it again I can just whip the towels off and chuck them in the wash, so she’s gone a full day and night without soiling the bed (yay), not to say it won’t happen again but at least I can replace with clean fresh towels.

I have bought some of that spray you use that you spray on afterwards after you have cleaned the area, to deter them from doing it again, just to see if that helps.

I’ve been told that because she’s just been wormed it might be making her more thirsty than usual so she will obviously need to urinate more as a bit of a side effect, whether this is true or not I don’t know.

As for a urine infection, her tiddles are clear in colour and don’t smell (one of the signs as once our other pug got a bit of a urine infection which we had treated at the vets) but I agree it’s still worth checking it out.

I am letting her drink at intervals, little and often and she’s now on moist food and being feed in the morning a little with the odd treat, rather than going all day and just having the evening meal time.

I’m not expecting her to improve straight away, I think it’s more a habit she may of got into rather than a health issue but time will tell.

Thank you for your help guys.