Tips needed for balanced light seat

Mule

Visit site
Hello, I haven't ridden in a light seat for ages and I now find it hard to balance when I do. I have to incline my upper body too far forward to keep my bum out of the saddle. I'm naturally inclined to hollow my back, would this be causing the problem?

I know if the horse spooked or stumbled I'd go over his head because I'm too far forward. I also don't want to put so much weight on his forehand. Has anyone any tips on what I should do?

paddi22

Visit site
Don't think of taking your bum UP out of the saddle, think of pushing it back and drop all your weight into your heels. So you are shaped like a question mark, kind of. And don't let your shoulders go in front of your knees. If you stick a strap between the d rings of the saddle you can practice it and hold something.

alexomahony

Visit site
It sounds like you need to strengthen your core if you're hollowing your back... this will be due to a weak core.

So a light seat is all about core, and having your weight well into your heels. When out hacking, when walking we ALWAYS stay stood up (straight) in the stirrups - for as long as we can... it hurts, but it's amazing for balance, core and getting your heels downs. Once you've got that really good secure leg, you'll find a light seat much easier to manage.

You'll get there :)

Mule

Visit site
Don't think of taking your bum UP out of the saddle, think of pushing it back and drop all your weight into your heels. So you are shaped like a question mark, kind of. And don't let your shoulders go in front of your knees. If you stick a strap between the d rings of the saddle you can practice it and hold something.
Pushing my bum back instead of up has made a massive difference. I'm no longer falling back on my arse 🏇
I must remember to do the same when I'm jumping.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
Probably already are, but just want to say use a neck strap to hold. I found when i was doing this after a long time off i was using the reins to balance, which is no good, but the strap helped me stay up until i could balance without any mouth yanking. I also found doing it up hill was much easier than on the flat, so started there.