Tips on getting pony to canter....

guesstimation

Visit site
Can I have some tips please!

I backed my pony last summer, we hack out and he's fab with the aids and walks, trots, backs up, moves around off the leg etc. He canters on command on the lunge and free schooling but I've never done it ridden so tomorrow I plan to give it a go, if the field I want to use is still empty of horses. I want to do it in the field rather than the school just because I feel cantering up a field in a straight line with rider is going to be easier than round a school....

So my plan is to walk and trot a bit in said field and then finally ask for canter. Any tips on asking for canter for the first time ridden?

I had planned to follow another horse when I first tried this but there isn't really any I can and I feel I have the bottle to give it a go right now!!

partyangel

www.freewebs.com
I have found that using a trotting pole on a corner can help with getting canter. Plenty of practise on the lunge first though doing it can help and backed up with a command.

ischa

Visit site
The horse must be balanced, going in an active rhythmic trot first,before moving on.
cantering a horse for the first time on grass should be done going up hill. It is safer and the easiest way to begin.
When going up hill the horse is unable to get onto it’s forehand, due to the incline.
He is less likely to increase pace and will most likely come back to trot as soon as you ask him, due to the horse being tired.
also what i tend to do is have a experenced horse to go in front this way it gives the horse a bit more of a incling to join in

guesstimation

Visit site
cantering a horse for the first time on grass should be done going up hill. It is safer and the easiest way to begin.
When going up hill the horse is unable to get onto it’s forehand, due to the incline.
He is less likely to increase pace and will most likely come back to trot as soon as you ask him, due to the horse being tired.

Thanks, that's what I thought, the field I am using has a nice incline on it so plan is to go straight up it - I hate downhill myself any way after falling off as a kid cantering downhill and hitting a rock lol.

noodle_

Visit site
voice command and leg at the same time

i didnt use a pole - made it worse for us tbh...

took us MONTHS to get canter - she does get it now tho - walk to canter took a while :D

guesstimation

Visit site
voice command and leg at the same time

i didnt use a pole - made it worse for us tbh...

took us MONTHS to get canter - she does get it now tho - walk to canter took a while :D

LOL I think one of my main problems will be when we come to stop, he's so sensitive to aids which is lovely for a responsive pony but I have to really ride from trot to walk to keep him walking and not just stopping so I am praying we don't go from full canter to stop, if we manage canter at all.

LouS

Visit site
Get a good forward going trot and then just use whatever command you use when lunging, I'm sure he'll get it fine, make sure you stay in straight lines for a while though otherwise he'll find it hard and probably lose his enthusiasm.

Mine started offering canter in the school just trotting round as I just get them thinking so forwards. He's loved to canter from the beginning, he's strangely well balanced for a just backed horse, he'd canter all day if you let him.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
LOL I think one of my main problems will be when we come to stop, he's so sensitive to aids which is lovely for a responsive pony but I have to really ride from trot to walk to keep him walking and not just stopping so I am praying we don't go from full canter to stop, if we manage canter at all.

I need to come and video this yes:D:D:D:D

guesstimation

Visit site
Lou thanks, reason I'm pressing forward is that Tigger feels ready to canter in the school and like he's going to break in to it, was funny as I felt it a couple of weekends ago and girl that rides him said exactly the same!

Jh no you really do not!