Tips on keeping toes in when jumping!

Troggy

Visit site
Not sure which forum this should go in really?!
Does anybody have any tips in how I can keep my toes in when jumping? I have had a few lessons which have helped my hands but I still find my toes point out. Here's a pic to demonstrate although I am left behind (click to enlarge)

I have recently bought a new saddle which has helped as my stirrups can go up quite a bit more (picture has old saddle) but my toes still seem to wonder out...

Any tips?

Bossanova

Visit site
I'm afraid to say there is no quick cure for this problem!!

When jumping, the toes are supposed to turn out slightly, giving you slightly more grip with the calf. Your problem however seems to stem from not really having a strong enough lower leg so the whole leg is rotating.
Personally (and I try to do this fairly often)I'd do lots of work on the flat standing up/folding into jump position with the weight in the ball of the foot so that you feel like you can use your lower leg as your stabilizer

filly190

Visit site
You look like your lower leg is quite strong and its just your toes. Have you considered it could be the boots you are wearing that are not flexible enough.

Troggy

Visit site
Thanks for the advice
smile.gif
When schooling and even hacking I am very aware of my leg and as I occasionally use spurs I find it easy to keep my legs in the correct position, it's just jumping where I seem to foget!
I will definitely practise my jumping position though. Dark evenings mean lots of schooling!