Tips on long reining

bellaboo

Visit site
The vet came out yesterday to x-ray my mare after being kicked and she has a bone chip, so now has to stay on 6 weeks box rest
frown.gif
thought i could now use this time to start long reining my 2 year old so am looking for any tips and experiences to help me out.

So, how have your horses taken to long reining for the first time? and how have you gone about it? would love to hear your experiences, good or bad!

Ta
smile.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
Have a helper and get the 2 year old used to a roller and bit first.

Start in the school first of all with the helper at the front and take things from there, one step at a time at the pace the 2 yo dictates.

Silverspring

Visit site
I assume the 2 year old has been bitted for a while? I usually bit for a few weeks, leading them in hand in the bit etc before I start long reining.

My main tip would be the first few times have someone there to help out
smile.gif
you can have someone holding him while you get the long reins set up and they can stay with him as you start long reining, I always have someone leading to begin with so you don't risk the horse freaking out and running off with long reins dragging behind.

Given that he's only 2 I wouldn't be going any faster than a walk with him as his joint etc won't be mature enough to take the strain of trotting a circle. Once he's settled in the school and you have a certain amount of control start taking him for walks along the road, round field etc with you walking behind. It's the bext way to start a young horse going away on it's own and feeling safe ahcking out
smile.gif

nicola_g

Visit site
Lunging & Long-Reinging by Jennie Loriston Clarke is very good, you will find it on Amazon.

I have recently started long-reigning my pony and he took to it 'like a duck to water'. However, he is 17yrs young and well used to being lunged but he is very sensitive and can be really awkward so I was quite surprised at him just taking it all in his stride. I actually find it much easier than lunging, you tend to have more control hence they are much more responsive to the aids.

Jennie's book explains everything, i.e., getting the horse used to having the lines touch its legs etc, what to do if the horse 'has a bit of tantrum' etc. Not expensive either
tongue.gif

Nearly forgot as it was soo long ago... I long-reigned a young mare (she was 3, if my memory serves me right) for a bit before she was backed. She too took to the long-reigns easily having been well used to being lunged beforehand.

Wishing your mare a speedy recovery, 6 weeks of box rest is a chore. My mare is on 3 months box rest at the moment for a stifle injury. 1 month down, 2 to go
wink.gif

bellaboo

Visit site
Thanks

Yes she has been bitted for a while now as she is shown inhand. She had worn a roller and a saddle before as i see no harm in getting her used to things now before she gets much bigger ( she's 16hh! ) She goes out walking inhand but not very often. My ever suffering friend will be there to help so that should be ok.
I want to make a start long reining as she is so big and quite mature for her age, she will only be walking as i'm not doing it to exercise her as such, but just to give her someone to keep her mind active. I am in no hurry to get things done with her so will be taking my time and making sure all her experiences are fun ones, like you say once she is happy in the school she can go out for walks long reining and see the sights!
Thanks for your advice
smile.gif