Tips on riding horse for first time at home

hopppydi

Visit site
Hi, some of you may know about the horse i bought which arrived a week last friday. He is a very nice placid 7 year old gelding ex racer. I have done alot of groundwork with him and he hasnt put a foot wrong..even when faced with lots of potential hazards. Why oh why is it then that when it comes to getting a saddle on him and going for a little walk i am nervous?? All my logic is saying dont be so bloody stupid but because i havent got any help as i keep him at home i am worried what will happen if it goes wrong!! I have put such great importance on it going right that its become a big thing now.
Any pearls of wisdom for people who might have been through a similar thing...i know that in a few weeks i will be fine and happily hacking around lincolnshire, maybe i need a calmer
confused.gif

Please dont read this and thing im a nervous wreck..im just desperate for things to go nicely!!

CastleMouse

Visit site
Just chill out and take it easy for your first ride with him
smile.gif

Can you get a friend to come out and help if that would make you less nervous?

hopppydi

Visit site
There is a lady who lives quite close who i think would come out with me. I think what is bothering me is other than when i was checking him out to buy he hasnt been ridden for about 2/3 months and before then only lightly hacked out. He last raced more than a year ago. the saddle fitter was very surprised how nicely he took the bit, he seems ready and settled to go out for a little amble about but just abit worried he might get too excited!!

badgerdog

Visit site
When in doubt, sing! Honestly, it helps to regulate your breathing and relax your muscles so your nervousness is less likely to be transmitted to your horse.
If possible could you take someone out on foot with you.? Having someone to talk to will also help you relax.
Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine!
smile.gif

hopppydi

Visit site
I have my mum but she isnt particularly horsey!! Its difficult because i am new to lincolnshire and havent got any friends yet
frown.gif

minerva

www.heliosgallery.com
after having all my confidence shattered by a monster of a horse i bought my new boy home - OMG i was terrified, i could barely breath and felt so sick, i made myself get on the first morning he was here, i didnt sleep the night before and was in a rediculous state for a 39 year old who has had horses all my life, he stood, i got on and it felt ok but still terror!! - my little friend who was with me actually made me sing "wheels on the bus" and off we went singing like loones around the lanes of Wiltshire, we progressed to "Rhinestone Cowboy" and i did a few choruses of "living on a Prayer" IT REALLY WORKS - honestly i was on top for about 20 mins and the singing was the key factor to relaxing, i have been taking baby steps every day for the past 7 weeks and today i went out for a good gallop over the fields with him and enjoyed every second of it - no fear even when he had a little buck of joy!

Booboos

Visit site
Maybe get someone to walk out with you for a couple times and you can go for a gentle walk around the block. That might give you the confidence to try it on your own on a nice sunny day!

trundle

Visit site
If you havent got anyone to ride out with you, could your mum or someone come out on a bike, or even walk with you?

I'm a HUGE fan of singing to calm one's nerves (although it helps if you have private or at least off-road hacking !). I hacked out my new mare for the first time this morning, as I'd only ridden her in the school prior to this, and the poor thing was treated to a medley from Oliver and Les Mis all the way down the drive. Frankly, I wouldnt have blamed her for dumping me and bolting for home....

pottamus

Visit site
I am all for singing!! Get someone to walk with you and plan a small loop around the block..perhaps drive round first and make sure all will be ok first. I took my boy out the next morning when he arrived and we survived even though he had not travelled well or taken the change in home well either and was a bit of a stressed beast! He loves hacking so it helped to get his legs moving a bit and doing something positive.

hopppydi

Visit site
Thanks for all the positive comments, the singing sounds like great fun and will def' give it a go. Im glad im not the only one who has gone through this so thanks for all your posts...will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to ride sometime over the weekend in between the rain!!