Tips please - stiffness through lower back when riding

starfish8

Visit site
Instructor made me ditch my stirrups last week and what a revelation! Position improved - broken wrists disappeared, leg got longer, seat got deeper, horse went better - yay!!

What it has made me aware of though is how stiff I seem to be through my lower back, particularly in canter. I'm not deliberately tensing, I'm not literally bouncing in the saddle... but I clearly don't have enough swing in my lower back/seat yet.

Any tips (aside from riding more without stirrups) to help with this? Ideas for on and off horse all welcome :)

starfish8

Visit site
I do Pilates regularly and it's fantastic for my flexibility and core strength - my riding position is improving too. Highly recommended!

Thanks! Is your class aimed at riders specifically? My gym has a pilates class I think, but the everyday variety

HeyMich

Visit site
Thanks! Is your class aimed at riders specifically? My gym has a pilates class I think, but the everyday variety

No, just bog standard pilates. There's people there from all backgrounds - some sporty types with injuries, some old lady types with bad backs - everyone seems to benefit, and they all take it at their own pace. Speak with the class leader about your concerns and injuries and they should tell you when to take things easy and when to push it!

wren123

Visit site
Are you slouching at all, if you are then that makes it harder to sit to the canter. Think of lifting your chest and relaxing your lower back, don't make the mistake of arching your lower back when you lift your chest!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Are you slouching at all, if you are then that makes it harder to sit to the canter. Think of lifting your chest and relaxing your lower back, don't make the mistake of arching your lower back when you lift your chest!

Excellent advice. To add to it, think about pulling your stomach towards your spine. If you have a nearby swing, try and 'push' it just one foot forwards - (pushing wqith your seat - NOT your feet, of course). VERY like riding a good canter. And forget about keeping your heels down - just make sure the weight is on the outside of your stirrup and your toes pointing straight ahead.

starfish8

Visit site
Thank you! Those combinations are proving difficult enough off a horse, let alone on board. Will keep at it though, I'm sure another light-bulb moment is just around the corner...

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
After a c-section I can assure you getting the sitting to canter IS difficult because you need a strong core. My word I struggled :D. The reason your back locks is to do with your missing core strength, the body will do everything it can to "protect" the spine according to my physio. I've been doing kneeling-superman, upside -down superman, bridges and planks. Then, I had to go bareback again to get my "swing" flowing back into motion iykwim :). JG is absolutely right, it is a bit like a swing. It's like I had a mental block. You'll get there keep trying :)

starfish8

Visit site
That is interesting... will have to google the superman ones! Not sure I'm quite brave enough for bareback but hopefully stirrup-less can be the next best thing.

Funny isn't it that I'm now hyper aware of how much tension there is in my lower back just sitting at my desk... maybe a physio appt would be another thing to try.