tips please

dingle12

Visit site
can anyone give me some tips please we have a cob on our yard that has had a hogged mane in the past we are currently growing it out, however i have never ever seen a mane as thick as this one how can i thin it out also he has the thickest tail in the world how can i thin that out i thought of thinning scissors is that a good idea?

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
Pulling is the only way to really thin the mane, a thining comb cuts the hair, so while it will be thin for a week or two it'll soon grow back thick and spikey if you've taken quite a bit out (which you need to with a previously hogged mane.

Unfortunately growing out a hogged mane is a nightmare - good luck!

Oldred

Visit site
Just done similar and I bet my mare can beat your cob for thick mane and tail (hence previous hogging). I use the Oster mane and tail rake (got mine from Clipper Sharp) and use it on the mane underneath to remove thickness so it lays flattish. It also does a good job on the tail and looks like a neat pulled tail without the pain and suffering!

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! I think you have just found the reason for the horse having a hogged mane in the first place.
wink.gif

I haven't really found pulling, a previously hogged mane, works particularly well. Much as it is frowned upon, in the initial stages of trying to grow the mane out, using scissors is by far the most successful way in my opinion. You don't cut straight down the mane, you pull sections of the mane towards you and then you cut straight into the mane in the direction of the crest. This will thin the mane down enough to tidy it slightly until it grows in properly.

Once the mane has fully grown back, then the only way to deal with it is to pull it as per normal.