tips small claim

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Hi just after some tips from members already been to small claims.

Cannot discuss problem in open forum sorry

What did you do in the preparation time, info you sorted out - evidence etc

I have been in touch with claim line and they advised I read through money claim online which I will, but anything else or advice.

thanx

Auslander

Visit site
Hi just after some tips from members already been to small claims.

Cannot discuss problem in open forum sorry

What did you do in the preparation time, info you sorted out - evidence etc

I have been in touch with claim line and they advised I read through money claim online which I will, but anything else or advice.

thanx

Completely impossible to help without at least some idea of the nature of the claim

LD&S

Visit site
Any thing that may have been relevant I took along, making sure all the dates etc were clearly visible. I made sure I had all the paperwork in order and had 3 sets, one for me one for the 'judge' and one for the other side.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Any thing that may have been relevant I took along, making sure all the dates etc were clearly visible. I made sure I had all the paperwork in order and had 3 sets, one for me one for the 'judge' and one for the other side.

Thats a good tip 3 copies ty

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I spent my whole life working within the legal system & one of the best sayings is 'never presume anything'. The judge/magistrate is independent when hearing your dispute. He/she doesn't know either you or the person you have the issue with so will take both of you at face value. Anything you tell the court needs to be evidenced. If you mention a conversation then if you can back it up with someone else who was present & can verify it then that's great. If you have received emails, correspondence, text messages, bills, receipts etc & you believe them to be important to your case then print them off to you can produce them to the court. As has been said print 3 copies, one for judge, one for you & one for other party.

Do not alter or enhance any document i.e. if a date isn't really clear then leave it that way, don't try to make it clearer or easier to read because it leaves you open to attack for possibly altering things.

Don't worry about going before the court the judge/magistrate understands that people get nervous. When you answer any question or give a reply always direct it to the judge no matter who actually asked the question. You need to remain calm & not lose your temper at any time with the other side no matter what they alledge happened even if it's a total lie. Keep your dignity, answer honestly & if you don't know an answer then say you don't know. Without knowing about the issue it's difficult to offer any further advice.

Good Luck :)

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I spent my whole life working within the legal system & one of the best sayings is 'never presume anything'. The judge/magistrate is independent when hearing your dispute. He/she doesn't know either you or the person you have the issue with so will take both of you at face value. Anything you tell the court needs to be evidenced. If you mention a conversation then if you can back it up with someone else who was present & can verify it then that's great. If you have received emails, correspondence, text messages, bills, receipts etc & you believe them to be important to your case then print them off to you can produce them to the court. As has been said print 3 copies, one for judge, one for you & one for other party.

Do not alter or enhance any document i.e. if a date isn't really clear then leave it that way, don't try to make it clearer or easier to read because it leaves you open to attack for possibly altering things.

Don't worry about going before the court the judge/magistrate understands that people get nervous. When you answer any question or give a reply always direct it to the judge no matter who actually asked the question. You need to remain calm & not lose your temper at any time with the other side no matter what they alledge happened even if it's a total lie. Keep your dignity, answer honestly & if you don't know an answer then say you don't know. Without knowing about the issue it's difficult to offer any further advice.

Good Luck :)
Thankyou very much for this

I do watch Judge Rinder and Judge judy and one thing I learnt is

1 Keep answers short and to the point
2 Have everything down on paper and signed
3 Print off text messages
4 Try not to look at the other party and do not respond directly to them no matter what
5 Have pictures
6 and a judge can see through you making a list and making out it was done different times as handwriting differs if you write it at the time but you can add on a different day as it happens
7 Dress smartly

Anything I missed???

Cobbytype

Visit site
Prepare yourself a timeline and work from that so you don't miss out key information.

Use short sentences in plain English and try to leave out horsey terms unless unavoidable, in which case follow with an explanation of what the horsey term means.

Tell a story including: who, what, when, where and how. Set the scene with a short introductory paragraph set out in a neutral fashion so the judge knows who the parties are and what the claim is about; include relevant dates.

As others have said, you will need 3 bundles of evidence: one for yourself, one for the defendant and one for the judge. Include any evidence which is relevant such as print outs of text messages, FB messages, sales receipts/invoices, advertisements, photographs... whatever documentation will support your claim. Include dates for everything.

If you are relying on witnesses, make sure they are willing to give a Witness Statement and go to court!

Check all dates are correct and then check them again.

Edited to add: Check the Defendant's full name and address is correct on the documentation.

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
Thankyou very much for this

I do watch Judge Rinder and Judge judy and one thing I learnt is

1 Keep answers short and to the point
2 Have everything down on paper and signed
3 Print off text messages
4 Try not to look at the other party and do not respond directly to them no matter what
5 Have pictures
6 and a judge can see through you making a list and making out it was done different times as handwriting differs if you write it at the time but you can add on a different day as it happens
7 Dress smartly

Anything I missed???

Promise you if you think its like Judge Rinder you will be very disappointed. You are very unlikely to end up in court as most cases are dealt with face to face over a table. If not without even getting that far .If its a livery dispute make sure you have a contract setting out what the terms were!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Don't embellish stuff . I sit on tribunals for other matters and the people who make themselves totally unbelievable by 'over egging the pudding' to the point where you conclude that everything they say must be twaddle. Keep it simple and if your behaviour wasn't perfect day so it makes you sound more honest.