Tips to avoid snow balling in hooves

RHM

Visit site
After a short time out today my shod horse was sporting some ice stilts. Is there any short term solution to this? Would only have to last 8 hours at a time. Was thinking I could do a bit of wrapping with vet wrap to stop snow packing in? All suggestions welcome!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I have one that can make impressive ice stilts even without shoes. The other has flatter soles and it just drops out.

Reactions: RHM

SBJT

Visit site
I’ve heard of Vaseline or a spray type cooking oil and that works. My farrier ended up putting a rubber pad under his shoe between it and his sole and that keeps it out really well. It doesn’t cover the whole sole just a little around the inside but it works a great and I don’t have the issue now. Kinda hard to explain so let me know if you need a picture.

Griffin

Visit site
My mare is unshod, so it's less of a problem but with shod horses in the past I have yet to find anything that stops it balling.

I picked their feet out on the way to and from the field (and arena if using one), so that at least when they came in, they were not walking on ice as it were.

asmp

Visit site
But what do race horses use? I was wondering that when I saw a lovely photo of race horses being exercised in the snow.

Found loads of snow ‘stilts’ in my field today where they had built up and fallen out of the hooves (And we didn’t have a huge amount of snow either)

RHM

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will give Vaseline a go and see if that works. Nothing sounds too positive! We don’t normally have snow for more than a couple times a year so hopefully it will piss off soon!

Caol Ila

Visit site
In the US, we put pads called snow poppers on our horses. They're basically a rim pad that goes under the shoe and acts as an anti-balling plate. Problem solved. It's not really a thing here, though. I've asked my farrier if he can put some on. Because nothing else will do much.

Winters100

Visit site
I’ve heard of Vaseline or a spray type cooking oil and that works. My farrier ended up putting a rubber pad under his shoe between it and his sole and that keeps it out really well. It doesn’t cover the whole sole just a little around the inside but it works a great and I don’t have the issue now. Kinda hard to explain so let me know if you need a picture.

Mine does the same - works a treat.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
In the US, we put pads called snow poppers on our horses. They're basically a rim pad that goes under the shoe and acts as an anti-balling plate. Problem solved. It's not really a thing here, though. I've asked my farrier if he can put some on. Because nothing else will do much.

Friends in Scandinavia use those, along with winter tyres. It's difficult for us here because our snow generally appears from nowhere and then disappears after a few days. By the time my farrier could come, the snow would have gone.
Maybe there's a market for something similar that owners could put on as needed.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The stilts generally are ok as long as they stay on the grass it's walking on concrete or hard ground that causes an issue, I just used to pick feet out just outside the gateway for the walk back, I know that's not always easy though and have tried various things in the hooves but nothing seems to stop it, both of mine are barefoot now so it doesn't really happen now.

RHM

Visit site
Friends in Scandinavia use those, along with winter tyres. It's difficult for us here because our snow generally appears from nowhere and then disappears after a few days. By the time my farrier could come, the snow would have gone.
Maybe there's a market for something similar that owners could put on as needed.
There really would wouldn’t there! Someone smarter than me needs to get inventing something!

racebuddy

Visit site
I put vaseline on mine and hes been out all day and was fine , worked him minus the vaseline and by the time went from the outdoor to stable had high heels ? xx

SBJT

Visit site

This is what I was saying! Yup we do it in Canada.