tips to stop a horse constantly neighing when out?

LiffWee93

Visit site
Said pony isnt nappy in any way, happens when travelling with or without company, in all paces/ sideways.. warm up/ test, in a group showing or not.. today was horrendous, the worst shes been, yet she was the most happy and relaxed at a show she has been?? Doesnt happen schooling or hacking at all.. just out! I dont get it!

Dreckly

Visit site
It is a confidence issue. My boy was exactly the same. The first dressage we went to last year he called all the time warm-up, test back to the box. He wasn't nappy and did all the movements required in the test without question. Each time we went our he improved. We were a new partnership at the beginning of the year so I think he was gaining confidence in me. He also used to do it hacking alone, he doesn't any more. Hoping when we start competing again this year it won't happen. The more you hopefully the better she will get

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Agree with Dreckly. Mine is the same, he is really needy on his own but does get better as the season goes on. Our first competition of the year was a disaster, he warmed up lovely, then went into the Indoor for his dressage test and did the whole thing screaming at the top of his lungs, all while still in an outline, however mega tense so we got slaughtered on that. Next time out he was less needy, neighed once and got on with it. Last weekend I took him to a dressage to music clinic, hacked there and he saw a horse that I think he thought he recognised in the distance, cue lots of neighing/roaring and very tense, I was pleased it was a clinic so I go chance to just work him through it and he did calm down and do some really nice work. Exposure is the only thing that helps.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Said pony isnt nappy in any way, happens when travelling with or without company, in all paces/ sideways.. warm up/ test, in a group showing or not.. today was horrendous, the worst shes been, yet she was the most happy and relaxed at a show she has been?? Doesnt happen schooling or hacking at all.. just out! I dont get it!
Mine did it at shows which is why I don't show him anymore as he did my head in and my hearing. Sorry not much help really, you could try a mirror in the trailer or he may just grow out of it the more he goes out. Maybe a instant calmer might help before traveling, it seems your does it before traveling and when he is away from home which is why my boy does it in unfamiliar turf.

Also when away from home and traveled with another, many horses scream for that companion even when in the ring which is embarrassing and distracts the horse form his show or test.

Last edited:

Dreckly

Visit site
One thing we did do was pick our venues carefully. We went for those where you warm-up close to the arena so you stay in the same area just move around. We avoided like the plague those where you have to take your horse away from all the others. We are lucky in that we have 2 very good local venues where everything is all together and he was much less noisey.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
One thing we did do was pick our venues carefully. We went for those where you warm-up close to the arena so you stay in the same area just move around. We avoided like the plague those where you have to take your horse away from all the others. We are lucky in that we have 2 very good local venues where everything is all together and he was much less noisey.

This is also something I take into consideration, mine is far worse at a venue where you go totally away from all other horses, like when you have to go indoors where they cannot see anyone else just hear the hooves outside the arena. Keysoe is great venue for us as the warm up is not even separated from the outdoor test arena, so it tricks him into thinking he has not left them!

soloequestrian

Visit site
My boy did this the first few dressage tests we did - neighed in the warm up and all the way through the test. Over the last couple of years he has settled much more and now only has a neigh when he first goes into the arena - as soon as we start to work properly, he just gets on with it. It is funny now - he looks like he is announcing his presence to the audience. I hadn't really thought of it being a confidence thing before, but that fits, and as he has got more confident both in his work generally and also with being at the competition it has improved dramatically.

LiffWee93

Visit site
Thanks guys! Shes been out a fair bit, but seems to be getting worse as times go on, and doea it more at places shes been to Before? Weirdpony! I guess its just an exposure thing :D