Tips?

GoneWithTheWind

Visit site
Hi I was just wondering if you could share with me your competition training tips as I am hoping to begin competing with my 9yo Irish sports horse. Thanks

PorkChop

Visit site
Which discipline are you planning to compete in?

My advice would be to make sure you are comfortable at a higher height/level than you plan to compete. Lots of practice, clinics and lessons :)

be positive

Visit site
As above it would help if you put in more info, my list of tips would be very very long and most may be irrelevant depending on what you are aiming to do, getting a decent instructor would be number 1, they should be able to guide you in the right direction.

GoneWithTheWind

Visit site
Well I'm aiming to do eventing once we get to that stage but before that hunting trials sj (he could easily jump 1m) and local dressage until we are ready for higher

Shay

Visit site
This is pretty generic so really the best tip to get out and practice! Be Positive is right about a good instructor. No-one - no matter how experienced - can manage without some form of training support. If you are young enough (under 25) a really good option would be to join the Pony Club. You can get access to good quality teaching and to a mainly supportive competition environment. If you are over 25 your local riding club may offer similar support; but that depends on your area. You could post on your regional boards to find a good local instructor or look on the BHS website.

You should be training at home at least 1 level above where you start to compete. So if you are jumping 1m at home start at 70cms for competition. If you are doing prelim (PC Novice) tests at home, start out with a walk & trot test. Take it gently, don't put pressure on yourself and enjoy it!