To all of you with horses out of work long-term....

Dolphin

Visit site
...did you take up any other hobby/sport to keep you going in the meantime? I did purely to stop myself from stamping my feet and sulking
blush.gif

Just made me wonder if anyone else did the same and what did you take up and how are you getting on with it?

JANANI

Visit site
Thats me I have Mare in foal, yearling, and two OAP's (near 30). Feeling slightly depressed at not be able to ride and have even offered my service's to my neighbour. Just hopes she takes me up on it.

When my mare was in foal the last time I went to the gym and it bored me to tears. Did contemplate buying another horse but don't have the time, space or the money and knowing my luck it would go permanently lame.

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
Nope, still stamping my feet and sulking!

My TB is retired fully now, but I ride a WB for someone else and my sister has just bought a project pony (literally just, about 2 hours ago, totally out of the blue, she hadn't planned to do it!) so I'll be able to ride her mare out to accompany him when he starts hacking.

rebmw

Visit site
I had 6 months of not riding between putting my nutter of a horse into early retirement and finding my new horse. I went mad and was a nightmare to live with. Actually felt like I was suffering with depression. I had just moved from one end of the country to the other so had no contacts to ride other peoples horses so I made firm friends with Fern and Phil and Jeremy Kyle. Also started swimming and pilates as very quickly got out of shape (from sitting on the sofa watching tv and eating biscuits!) Thank god I eventually found my perfect horse and got back to being ME again.

RachelB

Visit site
I just rode anything else I could get my mitts on! I had three different share horses (not all at the same time), rode another couple, and rode as much as I was allowed to at work. That plus still having to look after my horse (and the two babies she got turned away with last winter) kept me fairly busy!
I can't believe I lasted as long as I did TBH!