To bit or not to bit yearling for showing?

Charmin

Visit site
I've got a yearling who currently doesn't look too bad growth wise so am hoping to get him to a couple of shows this year, more for the experience and atmosphere than anything else. He's a very laid back guy, we've tried trotting him in hand and he ambles along quite happily. Never felt strong in a head collar.

He's also a gelding so not worried about him scarpering off into trouble.

Is it normal to bit anyway? He seems so young! What bit would you go for? I was thinking rubber straight bar and a three way coupling but are these effective in working on the nose and then the mouth?

Visit site
Being a yearling and a gelding you can show him either bitted or in a filly slip. The choice is yours. A small ribber straight bar is the norm when bitting for in-hand youngsters and the 3 way gives you way more control and only acts on the mouth when needed - just incase he gets excited at somewhere new! If bitting don't use a normal ridden bridle, get an in-hand bridle.

It would also depend on his head as to whther he would look better with a bit in or not.

WelshD

Visit site
my pony is rising two. I'm going to try him in a filly slip and see how he goes. I wont bit him until at least May when his teeth are due to be checked and even then I may not bother if he is ok in a filly slip

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Being a yearling and a gelding you can show him either bitted or in a filly slip. The choice is yours. A small ribber straight bar is the norm when bitting for in-hand youngsters and the 3 way gives you way more control and only acts on the mouth when needed - just incase he gets excited at somewhere new! If bitting don't use a normal ridden bridle, get an in-hand bridle.

It would also depend on his head as to whther he would look better with a bit in or not.

This. For me, safety is paramount and it's OK saying they're dopes on ropes at home but that can all change when they're out and about in an exciting atmosphere so for everyone's sake (both horses and people) then I would bit as a matter of course with either a three or two way coupling. If you use a two way, then loop the back noseband strap through the central ring of the coupling, it will give the same effect as a three way.

Also make sure you check the schedules as rules vary from class to class from show to show; some are OK with not bitting yearlings, others insist anything older than a foal is bitted.

ashlingm

Visit site
I did showing classes with my yearling gelding last year. I had him in a normal inhand bridle and he was bitted up - well, with just a little plastic bit :) Would a rubber bit be a bit too thick?

He wore a 3 way coupling which took a bit of pressure away from the bit and on to the nose. If any yearlings were bold or strong they were shown with a 2 way coupling - I'm just fortunate that my little fella is a lazy s**t and would rather stand than take off!

I was apprehensive about putting a bit in his mouth so young but he didn't mind it at all...and I've seen a few yearlings explode at shows and it does give you that bit more control! A little plastic bit worn for about an hour isn't going to do them much harm!

Most shows over here insist yearlings are shown with a bit. It's up to you whether you attach a lead to it directly, use couplings or even attach a lead directly to the noseband. In my eye it's a safety thing. I've seen quiet yearlings suddenly throw a tantrum and misbehave. It gives owners more control and is safer for everyone.

Don't feel guilty for wearing a bit. My little guy didn't even notice he had it in...he was still able to eat apples and nibble at grass!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
My filly was shown as a yearling in a filly slip and was fine. I saw some with bits and without bits and in one class there was about 30 yearlings!!!! I could not believe how well behaved they all were!!!

About bitting, I would just talk to your dentist about when to start. They are all different and some have wolf teeth and some don't so worth getting a thorough examination. I started bitting my filly when she was rising three. She had had her wolf teeth removed the previous summer at 2yo.

She is now backed and bits haven't been a problem for her.... I'll say "yet" because you never know!!

Kallibear

Visit site
I showed mine as a big excitable first-timer at 2yrs old in a bitless converted bridle like this ( noseband taken off and threaded back through the bit ring position). There were 14 in the class and over half were bitless.

522175_10151748608450437_1274488873_n.jpg

He was (is!) sensitive and polite and I can guarantee that having to tug on a bit in his mouth would have sent him into a panic! I very much feel that if you can't control them in a head collar then they shouldn't be there or need more manners practise.