to breed or not to breed

First Time Mum

Visit site
Gracie.jpg

Hi

I am thinking about breeding a second foal after our first was born 2.5 years ago. Sadly we have since had to have the mare we bred from first time put down (the foal was always going to be a keeper).

When we went to view the stallion I fell in love with a two year old the breeder had and bought her she has since been backed and ridden away. She has been an angel to break and generally is a complete pleasure to have on the yard. Sadly she is not big enough for me to ride competitively she is only 15.2 (I am 5.11). However she is beautifully put together and moves like a dream. Although her family jump she is not overly enthusiastic will pop a small jump but its not for her.

I am thinking of breeding from her due to her temperament and confirmation, she is realistically worth £2500 to sell and I value her temperament higher than this. We have plenty of land so space would not be an issue.

What do people think? Am I being over sentimental and should just accept that she is not big enough and sell her.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/581730_10200731519161779_1365962007_n.jpg

hopefully links work

forgot to add photo is not me riding the lady in photo is about 5.7

Last edited:

jrp204

Visit site
She's lovely, I would sell her. There are loads of youngsters with lovely temperaments, sell her and buy something ready to bring on. You could breed from her, there's no saying the temperament will breed through, you could lose her, the foal or both.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would sell too. I base this on her conformation. If you did breed you would need a short backed strong stallion with lots of substance but there is no guarantee that the foal won't follow the dam and be long and lightly made.

First Time Mum

Visit site
I would sell too. I base this on her conformation. If you did breed you would need a short backed strong stallion with lots of substance but there is no guarantee that the foal won't follow the dam and be long and lightly made.

Hi Alice thanks for the reply out of interest would you describe her as long backed she is 15.2 and only just out of a 5'9'' rug? totally agree regarding the lightly made she has not filled out anywhere near as much as expected

First Time Mum

Visit site
Hi all thanks for the messages. I think you have helped me with something I already knew. Out of interest why would you say not broodmare potential - I promise I am not going to breakdown and cry if you critique my horse.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hi Alice thanks for the reply out of interest would you describe her as long backed she is 15.2 and only just out of a 5'9'' rug? totally agree regarding the lightly made she has not filled out anywhere near as much as expected

That shows how misleading a photo can be, the picture you have put up shows a fair length behind the saddle and a flat croup. In the flesh she probably looks very different.

Alec Swan

Visit site
F_T_M,

"Although her family jump she is not overly enthusiastic will pop a small jump but its not for her".

For me it wouldn't actually be about your mare's conformation. Look at any 4* horse and you'd be able to pick holes in just about all of them. For me, what would persuade me to not use your mare, would be your lines which I've quoted above, and the fact that she doesn't really want to jump.

There are still too many mares which tick most of the boxes, but not all of them, and as such, they run the very high risk of producing second rate progeny. I speak from experience here!! :eek:

Alec.

First Time Mum

Visit site
Hi thanks all for the responses I think it may be time to find her the right new home :-( very useful especially regarding the long back comment she is in my very forward cut 17 inch single flap saddle which I think gives her the illusion of being long backed - note to self use a different saddle for the advertisement photos. :)

TheMule

Visit site
I dont think she looks particularly long in the back, just very weak in the loins. I certainly wouldnt use that pic to advertise!