To buy or not to buy???? HELP!

Switchthehorse

darcyandme.wordpress.com
I have an 8yo IDxWB mare I was always going to breed from eventually.

I have just been offered an 11month old filly for not too much money and I am now struggling with making a decision!!!

In my 'long term' plan head it makes perfect sense - she will be out for a couple of years, backed, turned away for a bit, and then brought into work as a 4yo. Given her breeding (KWPN x ID/WB) she won't mature til at least 7 ish, by which time my current mare will be 15 odd and maybe just maybe looking for a slower pace of life...

The filly has great breeding and I know two of her half siblings who are fab horses in every way. I know I wouldnt be able to afford her fast forward 6 years or so if buying her as a ready made horse. She is the same breeding as any foal that I bred from my mare would be similar to - her dam is the spit of my mare.

Grass livery won't break the bank for the next couple of years and I can afford it.

So why am I hesitating? Well i need to do stuff to my house but would much rather spend the money on the filly... and its just that unknown about where i will be in 3 or 4 years - hell I might even have found a man by then (ho ho ha ha!!)

But i figure the worst comes to worst and i will sell her in a couple of years if circumstances change...

I am sooo tempted - HELP ME!!! What do I do?

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I have lots of things that need doing to my house but I'd buy a horse first, simply because horses make me happy.

Do any of us know where we'll be in a few years, who can say with 100 certainty.
Have to say, having a bloke and more than one horse with full time work is hard, I'm single so that's my excuse for buying another :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am married and I can always find a reason for buying another.
Seriously if you afford it do it but think through fully if you do have the extra time I I did that once just spread myself to thinly and when a youngster got a poisoned foot in the depth of winter I just burst into tears at the thought of one more job I knew then I had to sort myself out mind I had ten ! It was lunacy !
If you have time get her.