To buy or not to buy?

unicorndreams

Visit site
Carried away with enthusiasm, I embarked on project with my sister to acquire 2acres of land and put up stables with the aim of getting my own horse again after being horseless for a few years. Its cost us more than expected and after making a poor decision on one horse purchase (now sold on) I am considering if I should bother or not with another? My sis has found a 3yo, backed and going nicely we are told, but I am concerned that I am going out of the frying pan into the fire - first purchase was too much work hence resold - don't want that sitation again!! Apparently this chap is quiet and hacking out sensibly but at 3yo he could still be in his babyish docile stage, will he change mentally as he matures more? Also he's very narrow in front, but this should improve with maturity? Have looked at older horses but those in my price range are cheap cos they have problems - I'd rather a green youngster than a problem older horse! But time is an issue regardless so perhaps I am not able to commit to this at all and should sell out my share in the field/stables?

Dogbetty141

Visit site
Are you buying this new horse if you buy it a companion as I think that you should not keep one horse on its own as they are herd animals. Go ahead and buy what you like you have got the land and stables give it a try, try it on trial. If else fails you could loan one???

KatB

Visit site
What are youir aims long term> Are you experienced with youngsters? TBH, if budget is a prob I'd be looking for an older horse thans been there than a young one where it could all go wrong.

unicorndreams

Visit site
It will be kept with my sister's horse and possibly a pony (if we decide to keep her, though quite frankly I can't see that either of us has the time to care for a pony as well as our own hosses!). Anyway my aims are happy hacking, very simple! My last horse was a 4yo TB off the track, hated racing and perfectly happy to let me experiment with natural horsemanship training at a low level. Had him for 5yrs til I gave up when my son was born. What I don;t want is to take on more than I can commit to as I know it will upset my sis if I can't do my share! Prob is I work full time and have 7yo son to see to too!!! Sadly he's not interested in hosses!

jayvee

Visit site
The kind of horse that would fit into your life would be a cobby sort that can live out all year, aged 15+ which would be a cheaper buy , can do the happy hack and have the sence not to go loopy just cos he's not been ridden for a week or more.
If this fails then you should be able to sell on for pretty much the same you paid for and not a ruined youngster you can't get rid of and not get yer get money back.
You seriously need to sit down wi sis and go through exactly what is expected of each other in making this situation work.

Happytohack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
£1500 - and I know that's cheap, people will slate me for not being willing to spend more, but I'm talking about a hacker here, not a competition prospect!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not about to slate you for having a budget, but a sensible happy hacker that isn't too young or too old could easily cost you twice that. If your time is limited, I wouldn't go for a 3 yr old but something quite a bit older that has been there and done that and got the t-shirt. This sort of horse doesn't need to be exercised everyday, won't mind if you make a few mistakes along the way and should give you lots of pleasure.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There's been some very valid points brought up here.

The two main ones are that you & your sister need to have a serious heart to heart about this project. You need to sort out what each one expects from the other, assume nothing, talk frankly because once you're both committed to this it will be too late to try & sort things out.

Choice of horse is extremely important for you. I don't think that getting a youngster is really a good idea for you. I'm not saying you don't have the knowledge, from what you are saying I don't think you have the time available to give to bring a youngster on. They need, as you will know, alot of time & regular training to get anywhere..it's time that you haven't got. An older horse, probably 12 years plus, who knows his job & will give you alot of pleasure without all the hassle of constant schooling appears to be more appropriate to your circumstances.

I don't think I've said anything that you hav en't been thinking about yourself otherwise you wouldn't have posted your dilemma.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide.
smile.gif
wink.gif

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Why not get something older and calmer? ID, perhaps :3 I've been riding for about 8 years, my sisters and dad a little less, my mum had ponies when she was younger - We're still going to go for an old plod as our first horse!
smile.gif
-pokes signiture- We're going to share a cob or two with my family and another family! It depends what you want to do with it... If it's just for hacking and fun, chose something well-behaved :3

unicorndreams

Visit site
I must admit my preference was for something around the 8-12yo mark. The sort you've picked out on horsemart but alittle closer to home (north derbyshire). I've 3 possibles I'm looking at tomorrow; 16hh 8yo TB, history unknown but dead quiet to handle, can walk underneath him but he's pretty ugly, very high withers and underweight, described as novice/exp ride, hacks alon and in company 100%; 15.2 8yo TBX good looking sort but says he's green and a little nappy hacking on has own (can fix that), or this 3yo 15.1(when mature) TBxcob who hacks alone and in company but as yet hasn't done much work (all taken in stride so far). Difficult part is that when we embarked on the field/stables project my sis was prepared to do more than she now says she can manage, you're right, we need to work out the part each can contribute. I know she's keen on the 3yo more than the others but....!!!!!!

jemima

Visit site
Hmm - I'd definitely go for something older that can live out as much as possible, not be touched for a week or two and STILL just be happy to being going out - not a handful. Just makes life sooo much easier!

I do like the look of that chestnut with the dodgy hoof in the link above though!

Skhosu

Visit site
For a happy hacker I'd not worry about age so much, especially if you have a budget.
I would not go for a youngster as you sound like you don't have time at the mo.
You could find several nice horses for that price, there were lots round when I was looking.

unicorndreams

Visit site
True enough comments and thanks for your thoughts. I'm told the 3yo has had a week off and been totally fine to tack up and hop straight on. I would be riding every weekend without fail but you are probably right - older and more settled is better. I'll see how they all go for me tomorrow and not make any hasty decisions!

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I must admit my preference was for something around the 8-12yo mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be brutally honest if you also want something over 15.2hh and safe to hack and they are only £1500 then walk away as it will have a serious problem IMHO. Look over 15 years and you should get a lovely horse that doesn't cost the earth and will bring you years of fun.
grin.gif

unicorndreams

Visit site
hmm, and if it's been worked heavily, potentially years of vets bills to keep it healthy and in work - that's my concern with an oldie! I looked at a 12yo who was super but he was sore in the back from years of hard work and hence too much of a risk

burtie

Visit site
That's why I said over 15, a lot of horses start to break down/go wrong between 12-15, those that reach 15 problem free often tend to go on forever or at least the problems are more obvious and therefore avoided at that age. I just think for the money you have that is where you will get best value.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I ride a 25 year old *Well until he broke me ankle the other day* the most soundest horse i know! Fit as a fiddle still lives out jumps like no mans business unlike the five year olds i know with ligment problems etc! So age doesn't mean pasted it!!

Would def look at something more then a tb for hardness if possible hate to say it but there whimps!

At the end of the day you want something to enjoy... and trust youngsters arn't all there cracked up to be!! Just some thing you feel safe, get on and go safe!!

jayvee

Visit site
There are many good older horses out there and some really good looking ones, who now just require a hacking home. My 18yo is fit as a fiddle even for hunting, (she's not for sale, just an example). I reckon she will go on into her twenties happy hackin around. And there are more like her out there for sale. If I were in your circumstances I wouldn't poo poo an older horse.

calon

Visit site
hmm this is a tad awkward after reading all this as i have one of the hores due to be seen the 3yrs, he is very good level headed and willing and there is nothing about him to sugest he will turn into anything else he is after all an affable cob with a heart of gold .green but safe , and will live in or out i think she should view all the horses she has on her list then sit back weigh up the pros and cons and decided first if she wants another horse and then which one if any suit her requirements , reading between the lines i feel she has been put off by the bad experiance with her last horse which was a mistake getting an ex track hore after not having a hores for some time must have been very daunting . i am very experianced and wouldnt have an ex track horse unless it was something very very special , they can make excellent horses but on the whole come with too much baggage and take a lot of reabilitating . heres hopeing you find what you want and get things sorted with your sister good luck

unicorndreams

Visit site
Well both horses were absolutely lovely and so hard to pick between them as each of their plus points. In fact weighin up their erspective merits, what one gained in one respect the other gained on in others!
Just to clarify, the 'mistake' horse I bought was a cob not an ex racehorse and he did a bronco on me! The ex racehorse I had for 5yrs and he was superb from day one. So I don't necesarily believe the stereotypes (tho i am wary cos they got their reputation for some reason!) - and you are soooo right - the bad experience with the cob as knocked my faith in my own judgement!