To geld or not? advice please

annsGG

Visit site
Hi

We have 'adopted' a 9 month old shetland colt, we are quite new to this and already have a 9 month old filley, they have only been together a few days but he has already made it clear that it has at least crossed his mind, we were considering having him gelded but dont really know what's involved or whether its best to leave until later, he's such an adorable, friendly little chap, I feel like he'll hate me forever, any advice very welcome, vet provisionally booked for a weeks time?!

Hollyhorse

Visit site
We had a colt gelding in november. Was hoping to have him cut next spring to give him some extra presence but he kept jumping out of his field to join a mare so couldn't risk it! He's a yearling, rising 2 this year. Can't remember exactly how much it cost but was no more than £200. He had some complications because it healed up too quickly and couldn't drain (lovely!) so had to have the vet out several times to re-open and let it drain while pumping him with antibiotics. Now he's fine but he did give us a bit of distance initially - to be expected! But now he's absolutely fine. Most horses don't have reactions so don't let this worry you. The only thing to consider is that they normally prefer to geld colts in either spring or autumn to avoid summer flies and winter mud and therefore irritation and infection. The horse needs to be kept moving to help healing so hope you haven't got too much mud! In my opinion it's a good idea because they can start mounting with possible results when they're a yearling so if that's a risk definitely worth gelding him! Hope that helps

Tia

Visit site
Personally I would geld him in the next month or two before the flies come out. I definitely wouldn't leave him in the field with the filly!

Depends on whereabouts in the country you are, but the last one I had gelded cost me somewhere around £250.

If you geld early, the trail of thought is that you will end up with a taller horse as the "growing" is put into the body rather than the production of sperm. I would agree with this trail of thought incidentally.

Edited to say - I see you have booked the vet for a week's time.....not a moment too soon in my opinion.
smile.gif

squirtlysmum

Visit site
My boy was cut at two and a half and was turning into horrid testosterone filled monster and yes I felt awful and very mean, vet commented on 'huge' testicles for a baby hence nasty attitude, he's now a complete sweety.
Definatly get it done before the flies but maybe when less mud about.

annsGG

Visit site
Thanks to you all, you have eased the decision somewhat, will leave the vet booked for next week, he suggested leaving him in the stable for a week though? if he is better off moving perhaps he would be better out as there's not much mud about yet (only had them 2 weeks).

Tia

Visit site
The vet suggested leaving him in the stable AFTER being gelded?? No, that isn't what you should do at all. He needs to be out and moving around afterwards otherwise there could be complications.

Of course you will still have to keep him away from the filly as sperm can sit in there and she could still be impregnated by him for up to a few weeks after the gelding.

Perhaps he mean't keep him in the stable until the gelding date? So that he couldn't breed the filly?

Thistle

Visit site
When mine was gelded I was able to keep him on an enclosed yard for a few days as it was a bit muddy. Get it done asap he won't remember and will be a lot more pleasent than an entire.

the watcher

Visit site
Another perspective is that there are hundreds if not thousands of indiscrimately bred Shetlands out there, and in your shoes I would wish to avoid this if al all possible, so, yes, I would geld asap unless your little boy is very special breeding/showing wise

SarahNZ

Visit site
Definitely geld. Both horses will be happier in the long run, and definitely alot less work for you.
When he finally is gelded, keep him somewhere he can move about (better for wound) and do it before warmer weather comes.

runaway

Visit site
As he's a miniture and there is alot of mud around in some areas i imagine the vet felt the run in a large stable would provide adequate room for movement after the op! (As he's so small the vet may choose to "over" dope him and lay him in the floor making the op easier, but generally they try to do them stood) It certainly isn't ideal to keep a gelding restricted after the cut but mud and a possibly uncooperative animal to catch etc doesn't make keeping an eye on the wound too easy.

I feel you've made the right choice and am sure if you have any concerns the vet will answer them when he/she arrives.
wink.gif