To get a 2nd horse or not to get a 2nd horse....

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
I have always had 2 horse to compete. Then last year I retired my older one and he is now on a hacking loan. My youngster has just gone affiliated BS and I have been offered another (just literally need to go and fetch him), with a cracker jump (dare I say better than the one I have). I can afford two. But the rising hay costs and bedding costs (they live out in summer) and I assume the soon to be rising livery costs mean less shows....

I'm in two minds. I love having two. I love competing two. I love the challenge and the trials and tribulations and the workouts that come with two.

Thoughts? Advice?

Squeak

Visit site
Go for it. If you can afford it now then take it as it comes. No point not getting a horse when we don't know how bad it's actually going to be - it might not impact you as much as you're worrying and then you'd be really gutted you didn't buy the horse!

Last edited:

Ceriann

Visit site
Go for it - I am a big believer in life being too short for what ifs. I have 3 (one ridden) and want a 4th, with my only ridden one struggling with the work and I’m schooling! The only question for me is not the management costs it’s the cost if things go wrong. In my head I would be realistic about I’d do if one the companions was seriously poorly but would go all out for my ridden one - not sure my head would prevail if it happened!!

TheChestnutThing

Visit site
I would ask yourself, if the one on loan was returned in November would you be able to afford to keep 3 over the winter?
Good solid question...and I have a solution for that one, he would go back to his previous owner who has promised full retirement when he doesn't enjoy hacking anymore. But when he stops enjoying hacking it means that he doesn't enjoy life as he is the type that lives for work.

Reactions: TPO

nagblagger

Visit site
I think when people post that sort of question on here they already know what we are going to say, so tell your OH that 99% of HHo have told you to get it and you can't go against that.
Pictures??

Ratface

Visit site
I have always had 2 horse to compete. Then last year I retired my older one and he is now on a hacking loan. My youngster has just gone affiliated BS and I have been offered another (just literally need to go and fetch him), with a cracker jump (dare I say better than the one I have). I can afford two. But the rising hay costs and bedding costs (they live out in summer) and I assume the soon to be rising livery costs mean less shows....

I'm in two minds. I love having two. I love competing two. I love the challenge and the trials and tribulations and the workouts that come with two.

Thoughts? Advice?
Do it! Sounds good fun, and you'd always wonder "What if . . ." if you don't!
Good luck!

millitiger

Visit site
I wouldn't do it.

I'm in a very similar position and tentatively looking for another, as usually have 2 to compete... I have them at home so no livery BUT I am concerned hay and straw prices could go up this winter, as well as another to shoe and training and competition fees.

I'm going to sit it out and reassess in autumn once we have a better idea on costs and whether they are going to rise as much as expected.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Thoughts? Advice?
Be very careful if you get another or..............................................you could wind up with 4 like I do.:)

Go for it.............................................