To go for it...or not to go for it that's the big question

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
And I need some help answering it!
Planning on going to our local clear round jumping on Saturday :) We have been many times before and always hovered around the 90cms/1m mark.
Before the end of the year I would like to have a go at a BS Newcomers (or that's the plan anyway ;) )
But I'm worried about taking the plunge! :eek:
Do I go this weekend and jump a round at about 1m and then a round at about 1m05-1m10 and use that as a schooling round to see if we're ready for it or do I jump 1 or 2 rounds at 1m??
Here is a pic of my horse jumping 3ft9 back in February:
PicturesfromAbisphone160210038.jpg

(Sorry about the awful quality - off my phone!!)
and the vid: (please excuse my friend talking!! ;) :p)

And here is a vid of us doing our 2nd BN on a ticket back in April (at the same place where the clear round will be this weekend):

(Please excuse the atrocious riding to the second fence! He was very good to help me out!)

Now I'm much more likely to jump 1m10 as a jump or a course out at a show, why i don't know?!!! Think it's a psycological (sp?) thing in my head and I ride with a slightly more determined manner at a show! :confused: I find he jumps much better over the bigger fences as he makes more of an effort but you have to be with him 100% as he takes a lot of confidence from you!
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm incredibly indecisive!! :p

Last edited:

JVB

Visit site
From what I've been told NC gets a lot more technical than BN, you don't mention but what are your reasons for wanting to do NC? Would it not be easier if you're not sure to carry on with BN then Discovery before doing NC, then it would be a gradual progression that you would both be ready for?

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
From what I've been told NC gets a lot more technical than BN, you don't mention but what are your reasons for wanting to do NC? Would it not be easier if you're not sure to carry on with BN then Discovery before doing NC, then it would be a gradual progression that you would both be ready for?

Oops sorry i forgot to add that the course is likely to be the same as at the 3ft clear round level as they just put the fences up :)
Why would I like to do NC...mmm....well I guess I love jumping and if my horse is capable why not?? This weekend is only a clear round day so I was thinking of using it as a schooling round for the height while the course itself will not be too technical to see how he copes as there won't be any pressure on either of us that way :)

JVB

Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but doesn't NC start at 1.10m? If I had been jumping 1m or 1.05m clear rounds I would be wanting to be winning/ placed at the 1m or 1.05m or Disco classes before even contemplating NC.

But no harm in going for a schooling round at 1.05m... would it also be as wide as an NC class with the same striding, technical questions? If so would be good training ground, if it's going to be easier than a NC course then it probably won't be a true test though.

Just thought - are you in Juniors? Sorry was thinking seniors! Don't think I can help much as no experience of Juniors, are they less technical?

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
No I'm in seniors :)
And no it wouldn't have the same technical questions or striding and is unlikely to have a treble or anything :) Like I said it is just for training. More for the height and how he copes with it than anything else :)

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
Thanks to you both :)
MerryMAL I think probably the best thing to do is to see how he goes on the day do you reckon??
I will probably do the 1m before anyway to warm up and that way he has already seen the course at a height we are comfortable with before asking him to jump them at a bigger height :)

Firewell

Visit site
Go for it! It's only a CR so it's not going to be more technical or anything. Tbh I used to find with my old horse that he always jumped the bigger courses better as the jumps filled the eye more and helped to back him off. He always seemed easier to get into a rythm over a bigger course?!
Also if you can both jump 90/1m courses nicely it's no different, just a couple holes bigger.
Have fun!