To go or not to go drag hunting?

DorothyJ

Visit site
I have always said that whilst my mare would undoubtedly love drag hunting, I wouldn't take her as she is quite sharp and it might blow her mind. We have struggled in the past with our eventing dressage as she knows of the excitement to come xc and gets quite hot. That has improved immensely this season though just by taking her out regularly and her generally growing up a bit. However wouldn't want to risk prejudicing the improvement in this respect.

The one issue we do still have is her on/off ditch phobia. She is quite frustrating in that on a good day, ditches are no problem and we have jumped a few BE this year. Other days she completely downs tools and we are walking off the course. I am starting to think that a couple of outings drag hunting could help - could get her confident over decent sized hedges and ditches perhaps.

So maybe an outing or two with Berks and Bucks Drag Hounds this winter?? What do people think - can drag hunting make a horse bolder and more confident xc? Is it likely that we will even come across any decent ditches to jump? Would love to hear of your experiences. Thanks all. :)

ironhorse

Visit site
Well it could be great - drag hunting is a lot more organised these days and you can often elect to go with a 'steady' group rather than the loonies!
Not sure how much the Berks and Bucks are in 'ditch' country tho - perhaps another HHOer can answer better, there's definitely not much ditch wise on their team chase course.
Depending on where you are, a trip to the Cambridgeshire drag might be better?
Another thought is Aston le Walls - they have some awe inspiring ditches and trakehners and you could book a lesson with Anne. She would probably bring a horse out to jump with you so you wouldn't be on your own.
We used her for a magazne article a while back and she was fab!

KatB

Visit site
My sharp mare loves hunting and is actually very chilled about it. As above though, you need to choose your country to benefit a specific issue like that!

star

Visit site
i hunt with the SC&RMA and the B&B draghounds and can think of about 2 meets with the RMA that are absolutely full of ditches and definitely cured my ditchy horse (after he fired me headfirst into one!). Not done any ditches with the B&B - they're not in huge ditch country. PM me if you want more info on the SC&RMA ditchy meets :D

CrazyMare

Visit site
Not sure about ditches, but one of mine is way too tense to ever consider dressaging on. I've just given up in that respect with her, but hunting is her forte, and she is absolutly angelic, with never a toe out of line.

Ali16

Visit site
As Star says, you'd be better of with the Sandhurst for ditches really. I go with the B&B most of the time because it is local but there are not many meets that have ditches.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be having a horse that does not jump ditches!