Pictures To hog or not to hog?

ImmyS

Visit site
That is the question!

I will be clipping Arlo soon as he’s a sweaty beast just walking out and I’m really in two minds whether to hog him too. I don’t like pulling manes and his mane is thick and wild, falls on both sides and is hard to keep tame!

He lives out so it obviously offers some protection, but I will rug him anyway if clipped. I also will hopefully be getting out to a few shows so I’m thinking a hogged mane will also be a lot quicker, easier and cleaner being taken to shows from the field?

What to we think? And what’s the maintenance like of a hogged mane, generally how often they have to be tidied up?

Crazy mane

UtwRwpm.jpg

Plaited I give an idea what it would look like

r4uKZ3z.jpg

bubsqueaks

Visit site
yep he would look super cute with a hog.
weve hogged our coblet who also suits it - no more time wasting for my daughter sewing her plaits - I tend to clip every 4 - 6 weeks & whiz it off at same time
love a hogged cob.

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I hog one of mine once a year so that I don't ever have to pull or trim it. It's either hogged, growing out-sticky up, short and neat or a bit long and wild, then back to the start to go round again! The other two are feral, long haired layabouts.

What I mean is, it's a personal choice. If you like the thought of him hogged, have a go - if he doesn't suit it, it'll always grow back again and you'll know better next time.

Pippity

Visit site
I think he could definitely carry it off. He's not cobby enough to be screaming out for it, but he'd look smart - and it's so much easier to look after than a hairy mane.

I neaten up Blue's hog once every few months or so, when I can be bothered, but we're generally a pretty scruffy pair. You seem to be a lot smarter than us, so probably once or twice a month. I've improved with practice but the first time I did it, it looked an absolute mess for the first week or so. It now only takes a couple of days before we can be seen in public.

Also, I strongly suggest getting a neckstrap once you've lost the mane as an emergency grab-handle!

Annagain

Visit site
I hog one of mine once a year so that I don't ever have to pull or trim it. It's either hogged, growing out-sticky up, short and neat or a bit long and wild, then back to the start to go round again!

This is like me with my annual haircut :D

I'm normally a no for hogging but I think it would work with him. Just make sure you can get on, I rode my friend's hogged cob the other day and didn't know where to put my hand without a bit of mane to hold onto!

jojo5

Visit site
Yep, I’d say once a month is what I used to do with my old boy who was hogged all his life. My new young boy has a mahousive mane and i have realised how useful it could be as something to grab if desperate!!!!😜

J&S

Visit site
He's a smart looking chap and hogging would suit him but you might miss the mane when you are jumping!! (More psychologically than physically I hasten to add!)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Either would suit.

One of mine is hogged and he gets tidied up every 4 to 6 weeks.

He doesn't have a neck rug on either he has all standard necks. He gets really itchy under his mane and then gets skin infections. With him being hogged his skin stays nice and cool

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm not a fan of the hogged look, though he does look like he could pull it off. It grows back though so if you hate it it's not the end of the world. I'd leave him as he is though, he's gorgeous ❤❤