To Loan or not to Loan

burtie

Visit site
Ok, Hannah is not in foal, I'm not planning to breed from her next years, so so I seriously have to consider loaning her out, (it's mentioned in my new signiture). But I'm just not convinced I'll find a suitable home, and she is my baby so I could never sell her. For personal reasons I won't have time to ride her for a long time, so she is out in my field and although happy enough getting rather bored. At 12 and totally sound it seems to young to retire her. I know all about getting a water tight contract and checking the homes, I've even loaned a horse before and it was very succesful, but after the horror stories I am worried.

So please tell me it does work, would love to here success stories to make me happier that I will find someone suitable!!

OMG that is soo strange you have just basically described the exact situation i'm in at the moment except mine is a 10yr old dressage mare and you've described my fellings - worries fears etc - to a t!!!
i want to here the good stories too because i've decided to go ahead and find mine a loan home but would love to feel more confident about it than i do!!!

blakey

Visit site
I maybe possibly considering getting another to ride, is she safe to hack??

Dont be put off by horrible storys, there are some nice loaners about
smile.gif

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Ditto what poppey said. If you get a good contract up and running and find a loaner that will be happy to email you updates, pictures and let you come and visit then it's always a positive sign!

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Does she just BSJA or would she event?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done some RC level events on her, but to be honest over courses I'd practised over. She is so careful which is great for Showjumping, but she wouldn't suit serious eventing as she wouldn't be brave enough. She is also a wonderful safe and fun hack, but has never seen a main road (in fact hardly seen a road at all)as I live and ride in the New Forest, one reason I'd probably only loan her to a local Forest home, also I wouldn't want her going far!