To nod or to wave?

Do you have a debt on your cards?

• Total voters

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I'm doing my road safety at the mo, and we are being told not to wave and say thanks, but to keep our hands on the reigns. I have to admit, I always like to make an effort and wave when a driver has made an effort, but obviously if your riding a horse that is a bit naughty, then a nod is acceptable in the circumstances. However in my opinion, I think if they have made an effort to reverse etc, a nod can appear aloof, arrogant and perhaps not enough? Fire away with thoughts, don't mind if disagree.

Weezy

Visit site
I put other as I do both - depends on situation and horse tho I prefer to raise my hand as it cannot be missed
laugh.gif

Tia

Visit site
I agree with you Audrey. A nod may be correct protocol but it does seem very off-hand and insignificant in my opinion. I always give a wave, smile and make eye contact.

Chex

Visit site
I usually wave, can't say I always smile though, or make eye contact though. If they speed past too close and too fast they get an evil glare lol, but fortunately these are few and far between.

pottamus

Visit site
I personally think that a nod could be missed by drivers and leave them thinking they had not been thanked at all. I like to make a clear signal with my arm to thank drivers so they know to do it again! But then it is easy for me because I have a good horse in traffic...even tractors etc.

sunny123

Visit site
I put other aswell because i do both. Depends on the horse or my nutters mood, if she is calm then i will wave but if she is having a 'sunny moment' then i make eye contact and nod. In the test though make sure you nod!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
It anoys me if people dont waves or in a even situation even nod... Drivers are clue-less and thought-less all ready praise the ones who do think of the horse!!
Unless im in very heavy traffic, in which its hard to thank every body, and the traffic is normaly quite steady anyhow and i have a friskey horse then i always wave!! Risking my butt sometimes!!

After a f***ing driver with one fat arss (and i mean fat arss) of a lorry came tumbling pasted, not a second thought for me and my young horse, leaving us with 2ft!!(yes im sad a went back and messured it!!) between his towering killing machine and a towering wall!! I cant get my self back on the mian roads, so apart from the little village roads, in which the drivers go out of there way, even stoping and turning off! Or the dualcarriage which i cross because it doesnt matter what the drivers do, i hate roads!!

Why did they say not to wave?? My only thought is its hard to control sometimes one handed but we have to for like slow down etc!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Wait just a thought in my rant...
Why on earth when your riding a young, nervous, unsettled horse and a lorry or what ever comes speeding down the road do we have to stick our hand out and flap to slow them down -not that they normaly listen- i mean control out the window!!

Zebedee

Visit site
I think either a nod or a wave is acceptable, provided whatever acknowledgement you have made is accompanied by a smile & a loud 'thank you very much'. If the you think that perhaps the driver hasn't heard you don't be afraid to repeat it, & speak very clearly - most people can lip read the thank you!

teapot

Visit site
If I can, I will put a hand up to say thank you. However if I'm halfpassing down the road on 16.3 of shire x tb I tend to keep hands on the reins

I always nod and smile though and mouth thank you

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I try and smile and wave but if my girl is being a pickle then I will smile, nod and shout thank you, just so I know they heard me
grin.gif
I drives me mad when people don't say thank you its so rude. Unless of course the rider is having difficulties in which case I will just hold all the traffic back til they are ok

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Normally wave, smile & merci if the driver has stopped and has the window down, which they often do on small roads.
Sometimes even exchange "bonjours".

Our horses are fine going past normal traffic - it's less easy with bumpy squeaky large farm trailers.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A Nod, a Wave, a Shout, a Smile & say 'Thank You', it matters little what you do as long as you acknowlege a courtesy extended to you by another road user.

sorona

Visit site
I wave if cars are passing me from behind so that they have a better chance of seeing my gesture, I either nod or wave if they are coming towards me and if it is the summer and the windows are down, i say thank you as well as nod and wave!!! I always smile too so they dont think i am stuck up, lol!!

LauraBR

Visit site
So long as the driver is aware that you have thanked them then it doesn't matter how yu do it in my book!

If I am on a tricky horse I will just smile and mouth thank you- usually get a smile back in return.

TURBOBERT

Visit site
Depends on what I am riding! My usual mount is bomb proof - so I do everything. If I was on a young horse or one not 100% in traffic - I would keep my hands on the reins but smile and nod