To plait or not to plait...

Chloe_CC

Visit site
Would you plait up for a BD comp, I generally don't (as long as i have tidied mane) unless it is a important comp, but everyone else seems to..
Just a general, random question, thought i'd get your views
smile.gif
x

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
uh ho...can of worms opened!!!

yes always. i just feel it completes the pic, and shows respect to the judge, if they can sit in a cold car and judge for hours, least i can do is plait.

(disclaimer-i actually love plaiting and often plait for clinics too, as again i think its shows respect, and im very anal about horse turnout anyway...)

KatB

Visit site
Yes, almost always plait for dressage.
smile.gif
Only time I havent is when something had happened which stopped me from having time!!

Chloe_CC

Visit site
I do like plaiting as well
smile.gif
But i think as I do showing too, and am often plaiting up god knows how many times a week during the summer season (i say summer like we will get one
tongue.gif
) then a break from the finger cramp is nice, i also find that when i plait them a lot, it pull hairs out, and then you get flyaway bits.. grr!!. I do always turnout smart as well, and normally take 2, and as you all know i'm sure, it take time to get they ready
smile.gif

I am going out on sun, and my mare's mane has grown quite a bit, was thinking of experimenting with a spanish plait
smile.gif
xx

wench

Visit site
I generally dont - as my plaiting is dire and this does not go well with horse that has a bog brush mane...

MissSBird

Visit site
I always have done in the past, but as new pony is an M&M I'm not planning on it. He has a lovely full mane and I want to show him, so I'm not going to risk damaging it by plaiting.

I think this is ok for M&Ms though, as long as the rest of the turnout is smart, clean and tidy.

hellspells

Visit site
I always always plait - again actually really quite enjoy it. Although for dressage takes me less than half the time than for showing.

OP - just being nosey are you named after your horse?

LMuirEDT

www.horsedentistry.org.uk
I never used to but I did and we got better marks. Like to think it is more to do with the improvement of the horse but not taking any chances!

Plus I was trying to find some good dressage pics of my horse and realised he did look quite a scruff bag without a plaited mane!

millitiger

Visit site
um, i will be the odd one out and say no i wouldn't plait.

i don't really get the whole 'respect for the judge thing' as there are judges at sj as well and most people who plait for dressage don't plait for sj?

ecrozier

Visit site
I don't always plait for dressage but mine's an arab so like the M&Ms think its ok. Usually do a running plait tho as keeps mane out of way and makes his topline look better
smile.gif

However youngster is sports horse, so think will be plaiting, would def plait BD I think, and almost def for unaffil dress. Need to get practicing though as am RUBBISH at plaiting been so long since had to do regularly! And he has a properly irish mane!

MissSBird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
um, i will be the odd one out and say no i wouldn't plait.

i don't really get the whole 'respect for the judge thing' as there are judges at sj as well and most people who plait for dressage don't plait for sj?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why people don't have the same 'respect' thing for SJ, but I did once write for a BD judge who had a good moan when she saw unplaited ponies and said it was just lazyness on the part of the rider. She said unless it was a real M&M she wanted to see plaits - and would expect plaits for a lighter M&M (welsh b, connie etc.)

That being said, I'm still not plaiting my connie.

Chloe_CC

Visit site
Yeah it takes me a lot less time for dressage, although I think that is due to doing it so much.. I'm new to this forum lark.. What/who is OP? I wasn't sure who you meant, but iam named after my horses lol.. thought i'd mention it
smile.gif
but like i sure, unsure who you mean
smile.gif

Chloe_CC

Visit site
Think i will plait for BD sunday..
smile.gif

I remember i once went (was runing late) and had no time to plait, I think i was trying to reassure myself by saying that "not everyone will be plaited" I got there any EVERYONE was plaited!! Oh the shame.. But we still won, so it can't have done too much harm!
smile.gif
xx

MandyMoo

Visit site
i've done 2 dressage tests in my life
tongue.gif
(not many lol) but i did plait. i personally think people shouldplait for all competitions and when hunting...only time i wouldnt plait is for showjumping and obviously say a M&M showing class..

i just thinking plaiting finishes the picture and has a better first impression xx

spookypony

Visit site
I only do unaff at the moment, and I always plait. It's part of correct turnout, and it's respectful not only to the judge, but to the organisers, and the other participants. Shows you're taking it seriously, even if it's only a small show. My pony has an unpulled mane, mainly (ouch, sorry!) since I don't like the look of pulled manes, and think he needs it for an umbrella/fly screen (that's my excuse). I do either a running plait or a lattice, depending on circumstances.

Zebedee

Visit site
If it's first impressions that count then better a tidy mane than a poor plaiting job. Better a bog brush mane than a series of untidy bristly plaits !
I see plenty of unplaited horses doing BD. Doesn't seem to affect the marks, & I've yet to see the mane (plaited or otherwise) mentioned in the judges comments!