To sell or not to sell? In such a pickle!

ImmyS

Visit site
I know nobody can decide for me, but just looking for a bit of support and advice.

Some people will know I’ve had Arlo for a little while now, nearly a year and a half. I was planning to keep him for at least a few years and then re evaluate but in the last 6 months my situation has changed quite drastically, I have had to change jobs meaning I have less time and I am also no longer with my partner. I feel like I need to be a lot more realistic with money now and if I’ve got any hope of having my own place then I can’t really afford luxuries such as a horse. I’ve also lost a bit of motivation as I’ve now lost a lot of opportunity to take Arlo out and about and keep progressing with him. I’m feeling like selling might be the best option as just feel like winter is going to be a long expensive slog that I now can’t really afford since my situation has changed. I just feel totally guilty at the though of selling him though and I love him to bits, he’s such a fun honest horse. I also have no idea how much he would be worth and the thought of going through the selling process makes me feel a bit sick. He’s got so much to give and I just feel like now my situation has changed I’m not going to be able to put the time and money required in to produce him further, as he has only just turned 5.

Sorry this is just a bit of a rambling post but just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation. Did you sell? Did you regret selling if you did?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am sorry you find yourself in this position. Could you bring yourself to loan him for a year? That would give you some space to think about what you really want/need without having to make a 'final' decision just yet.

ImmyS

Visit site
I am sorry you find yourself in this position. Could you bring yourself to loan him for a year? That would give you some space to think about what you really want/need without having to make a 'final' decision just yet.

Possibly it would just be the stress of finding the right person/situation but worth exploring

sport horse

Visit site
Also consider that if you loan him he could get returned at any moment and you would be saddled with the keep cost, perhaps when you do not need it. Awful decision - good luck.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well firstly the fact that he is a fun honest horse means he will likely land on his hooves so don't feel too guilty if you do sell. You've done a really good job up until this point.

It won't really matter to him right now how much time you have to produce him/take him out either. He is pretty epic and not one I would rush to sell but know that sometimes we have to be realistic too. Which is why I haven't got another riding horse even though I don't currently financially support Frank at all. Part of me wishes I hadn't had that financial burden a few years ago too as that generated it's own stress but I also know that the amazing time we had that likely got me through some tough times.

I would think that given that he is such a good egg that you likely could loan him through word of mouth and get someone sensible. I'd have him :p.

ImmyS

Visit site
That an
He’s a really useful little horse that would be difficult to replace.

With him I’d take the approach I’m taking with mine. Decent price on them. If someone bites, great. If they don’t then they stay. Win win.

That’s the approach I’m thinking of taking. I wouldn’t be in a rush as his welfare is my priority. Tempted to just get a decent advert together and if the right person comes along, great. If not then I would continue to work with him and enjoy him as much as I can whilst being sensible regarding money etc. I just have no idea on price, if you have an idea then I would be grateful for a bit of advice over PM?

ihatework

Visit site
No problem.
Pm me where you are (region), what you paid for him, all his good and bad points (ie anything that might remotely put a fussy buyer off) and if selling him yourself what trial facilities you have.

ImmyS

Visit site
No problem.
Pm me where you are (region), what you paid for him, all his good and bad points (ie anything that might remotely put a fussy buyer off) and if selling him yourself what trial facilities you have.

Thank you I will write down all the info and send you a message. That would be really helpful

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am really sad to hear you may be selling Arlo, I have followed your adventures from the start as you got yours when I got mine, more or less. You seem to have got a really nice partnership together.

That being said, I have myself sold one when life gets in the way, three times in all. One so I could concentrate on a job, one for a relationship break up and one to get a home. I have not regretted any of those sales, they made life possible.

If he is straightforward, hacks well alone and in company, including in the open and traffic, is sound and has no health issues then I think I would ask around 4K. If he had a bit more mileage it would be more, but if he is sane, safe and healthy then he would be worth every penny of 4K to me.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think he’s cracking and any day is worth £3.5 - 4K, marketed well.

Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
you should have no trouble selling him to a good home as he seems to be such a nice person both on the ground and ridden. i would think £4000 would be achievable in my area as a safe straightforward horse is always in demand. if you cant find a good home and there are no loaners suitable you could turn him out completely which would be cheaper and less time consuming and maybe bring him back into work next spring and try again. he is only 5 so a break wouldnt hurt...

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice so far. Red- 1 you’ve hit the nail on the head in saying you’ve had to sell in order to make life happen and it feels like that’s the place I’m at right now.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had a horse from age 21 and had to forego many things to be able to afford my hobby. although i wouldnt change anything owning a horse did make me very poor and it took me many years to get my own place so i can understand how you are feeling ..its a hard decision to make, good luck with whatever you decide...

ImmyS

Visit site
I’m terrible at writing adverts. Anyone actually enjoy it and would help me draft one up?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would look at horsequest in the section family friends because i think he sounds like the type that would fit into that description. he is young but level headed and seems to love his jumping and those are good selling points you may get an idea of what phrases they use.

i would list the best things about him as an example ,

stands still for mounting
good to hack alone and in company
very sensible
excellent in traffic
loves jumping,
forward going but safe
easy to handle and loads into trailer or horsebox with no problem

i am not saying these are all relevent to arlo but that is the sort of thing people want to know

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I’m terrible at writing adverts. Anyone actually enjoy it and would help me draft one up?

I'd be happy to help.

Remember that your advert is not being written to sell him. Your advert is being written to get viewers to come and see him.

You need to include only as much as will get the right viewers to come and see him, and nothing that will put a potential right viewer off.

Less is more. If they want more information they can ring or text you, and that will give you the opportunity to vet them to see if they are the sort of owner you want for him.

In your shoes, I think I would sell. It sounds as though you need your life uncluttered for a year or so, then you can evacuate where you want horse owning to fit.

I agree with people valuing him at about 4k.

Lintel

Visit site
Without reading all the posts.. so sorry if I'm repeating what others have said...
You have been doing so well with him and he is so young I would be inclined to turn him away for a year till you get back on your feet.
Find good grass livery or a field somewhere and leave him to be a horse. It's very under rated in my opinion!

My worry with sharing or loaning would be someone undoing your hardwork with him X

be positive

Visit site
I'd be happy to help.

Remember that your advert is not being written to sell him. Your advert is being written to get viewers to come and see him.

You need to include only as much as will get the right viewers to come and see him, and nothing that will put a potential right viewer off.

Less is more. If they want more information they can ring or text you, and that will give you the opportunity to vet them to see if they are the sort of owner you want for him.

In your shoes, I think I would sell. It sounds as though you need your life uncluttered for a year or so, then you can evacuate where you want horse owning to fit.

I agree with people valuing him at about 4k.

I agree but knowing the prices dealers are asking for similar cobs that are probably greener and definitely not as smart as Arlo I would ask nearer £5k with a view to dropping for the right home, I would also consider including all of his kit so anyone buying can get on the next day and go rather than having to mess about buying a saddle, I have sold a few complete packages and it gives you a bit more wriggle room on price and you also know the horse will have well fitted tack from the start.

Surbie

Visit site
I am sorry you're having to consider selling, he is such a lovely horse and I've enjoyed reading about your progress. But because he's so nice he should find a good home fairly easily.

I have a friend actively looking now her elderly mare is being retired so would love to see the ad if and when you write it.

Last edited:

hihosilver

Visit site
hmmm I to have followed you thinking wow he is that horse everybody wants and I really still believe the saying ' a good horse is not for sale' I personally think for his gorgeous temp and his all round ability you could ask £5000 or more. If it were me I would first explore other avenues and try getting a sharer to help with costs. TBH as a 5 year old you could easily turn him away and pick him up in spring. He would I'm sure live out with rug and decent ad lib hay. In 6 months time you will have another job and Arlo as well.

Of course if you have made your decision then he will be an easy sale.

Just give yourself a bit of breathing time xx

Horse2018

Visit site
Don’t loan him out since they can come back at any time and there is to many risks involved . I would sell him he is probably worth 3000 - 4000 I wish you the best of luck

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would try and find a good sharer to start with that way it will give you some money help and a few days off, and you don't have to part with him so soon if not what about turning him away for a bit would be cheaper his only 5 so won't hurt him then see how you feel, I really struggle selling horses so I try to find every way possible not too especially ones that are not really causing any bother and would be hard to replace, which I think he would fall into that category, it's a really hard decision I do feel for you!

scats

Visit site
Is there somewhere that he could be turned out for 6 months to give you a bit of thinking time. Or could you advertise for a sharer? He’s such a super chap that I think you could sell him easily for a decent price, but there’s this bit of me that thinks you’ve got yourself such a nice, fun and honest horse there that you might regret it!

ImmyS

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies it really is food for thought. Regarding a sharer, if I found the right person it would be an option I am open to but would have to be the right person, and need to be mindful as he is on a private yard at someone’s home so would need to discuss it with them.

Unfortunately we are very limited for any sort of herd turnout in our area, which ideally I probably would chuck him out in herd until next year but would rather he didn’t go very far away.

I think I’m going to draft up an advert, just put it on one reputable site like horsequest and just see. If the perfect fit comes along then great. If not then I’ll keep him for another winter as although it will be a stretch money wise, his welfare is my priority.

BOWS28

Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear you're thinking of selling. It will never be easy but sometimes life throws curve balls that are unavoidable.

On a serious note, please do let us know when you put up the advert as i know a wonderful girl looking for a safe, sane pony to love and have fun with.

Best of luck with your decision and lots of love and hugs x