To sell saddle or not?

siennamiller

Visit site
So, I don't have a horse. I do have a Albion saddle, which is less than 2 years old (I bought it new). I don't plan to have a horse for a while, and probably not unless I can afford one more comfortably ( last one went because it was too much pressure financially, and time wise).
I do have offers of horses to ride, but they do all have their own tack.
I do need the money, so wondering if I should sell it?

JJS

Visit site
I'd sell it. Even if you do end up with another horse down the line, there's no guarantee that your current saddle will fit it, so it seems better to have the money in your hand than a saddle gathering dust.

Shooting Star

Visit site
I agree, sadly saddles seem to go out of fashion so quickly these days, if you don't have any plan to buy in the nearish future then may be best to sell - says the girl with 2 saddles at the saddlers on commission sale and another in the garage that really needs rehoming!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you need the money and think you will get a good price for it, then sell it. But we have only ever sold one saddle, to someone who really needed that particular saddle, and I was glad that we had kept all ours when my mare went through 4 different saddles in less than 5 yrs, as she changed shape while losing weight. They were all sadddles that we had in the tack room.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would advertise it at the top end of the price it's worth and not budge on price. It will take longer but you will get someone who wants that specific saddle and will pay the price rather than the new price.

Unfortunately as soon as you buy a saddle the value practically halves it seems.

siennamiller

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Yes, it did pretty much half in price as soon as I bought it! It's a nice saddle, but I wouldn't buy new again anyway, purely because of the above.

catkin

Visit site
Is the saddle very comfortable for you? Is it a model that is difficult to get hold of? If it is, and you don't mind the money and space being tied up then think carefully before selling.
I have two saddles here that are not currently being used but would be difficult to replace like for like (and I sit well in both of them). They live indoors and are looked after as I would regret selling them if I had a future horse that they fitted. At worst they will be useful for part-exchange if I need to fund a future saddle.

Max123

Visit site
I was looking for a good 2nd hand Albion a couple of years ago and they were like gold dust. I didn't want to buy new because of the price. I was lucky enough that the saddler was selling her demo model and was like new but much cheaper. You would sell it no problem but decide how much you want and dont drop from that. Also decide the conditions of sale i.e must be collected no posting and all the hassle that brings. If it is worth your while let it go if not then that's the way it is.

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes definitely sell.

I have 3 older saddles that I would love to sell - one is a lovely Albion dressage - and all are in tip top condition but there's no interest as they are 15 years old.

Sunshine

Visit site
I wish they had a 'wanted' section on ebay or something like that as I have been looking for a 17in Albion wide GP/VSD for months and can't find one advertised anywhere. I'm sure there must be one sat in someone's tackroom gathering dust...........