To shoe or not to shoe.......

jellybaby

Visit site
Firstly this is not a Barefoot post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 19 y/o ex event TB mare is now officially retired, and I will be taking her shoes off in the winter, when the ground has softened a bit.
The trouble is she has got really quite rubbish feet, and I am petrified that they will just crumble, crack and fall to bits.
I currently use Cornucrescine to promote some hoof growth as the farrier is constantly moaning that he’s got nothing to bang new nails into!
She will have to walk about 200 m to her field and back every day down a farm lane, and then into the concrete yard and to her stable morning and night when she comes in.
So, 2 questions really - shall I take her sheos off and risk it, and secondly if I do, what supplements/treatments are really decent for rubbish feet!

Thanks in advance
JB x

ihatework

Visit site
I did this with my 10yo mostly TB horse with rubbish feet while he has been off injured.

I initially just took his backs off, his feet are white and I was worried he wouldn't cope. He did not seem to notice!!! 8 months on his back feet look great, not a single crack or split.

6 weeks later I decided to loose the fronts too. He was a little pottery to start with but seemed to adjust fairly quickly (this was March time), however around June time when the ground was hard he went really very lame in front (to the extent I thought he had laminitis), so had to have fronts put back on.

So if it were me I'd remove the shoes in stages, backs and then providing she copes then the fronts. You may need to be prepared to shoe through the summer if needed.

I have been using Keratex hoof hardner on the soles only

spaniel

Visit site
I took Toms shoes off thinking it would be the sensible thing to do with him being semi and then totally retired (back in work now....another story!).

We started off just removing the hinds, I think it was in september after a damp summer, and he was ok for a few months so we removed the fronts as well. Over the winter I started having problems with the fronts breaking up even though he was only walking on concrete for about 10 feet twice a day and then crossing a sand arena to his field so we put the fronts back on. By March I was also having trouble with the hinds, they started to crumble (much as they did when he first arrived - in a right state) and the blacksmith was beginning to comment on the quality of the horn.

In the spring he suffered two foot abcesses and after the horn had grown back where we had had to pare so much away to evacuate the pus I decided enough was enough and put the shoes back on.

Now in an ideal world Id say 'yes' take the shoes off and just get good trims but I think that in your case you might start to see problems given the hoof quality isnt so good.

You need to way up how much of a risk you fancy taking to experiment.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think i would try it and if she starts to get too foot sore then i would just put the fronts back on.

You may need to leave it a while though so that she can get used to not having none on.

My old horse got used to it after about a week or so and was fine but my pony was very foot soar for quite a few weeks so i put his shoes back on.

jellybaby

Visit site
Mmmm, I think you're right.
It may be worth leaving them on due to the crossing of yard and walking to the field. I just don't think her feet are good enough to cope.
Normally I religously have farrier every 6 weeks, but do you think I could stretch it any longer and have same set on twice?
God, having retired horses is such a pain in the proverbial!
Oh, and BTW, I ahve done the whole retired, then back in work and now retired saga again!!!
Tahnks for your input, I really appreciate it!
JB xx

spaniel

Visit site
LOL at same set twice....I am a standing joke with my farrier....when he actually has to break out a new set of shoes for me he has a party!! I reckon I make a set last at LEAST three shoeings!!!

jellybaby

Visit site
Just out of interest Spans - who shoes for you?
So, does that mean I can get away with every other set then!!! LOL!

My farrier used to rub his hands with glee, we used to have 2 eventers shod every 3 weeks! He made a mint!!!

JB xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Think you may have to suck it and see. AmyMay doesn't have any shoes on and is absolutely fine.

However, Freddy - who was TB and had god awful feet - couldn't cope at all. I just got away with fronts only, but must say that he hadn't been pts I would have had the backs put back on.

miamibear

Visit site
Have a read up on keratex, its brill, regulates the moisture and hardens feet can be used on barefoot to improve quality of horn.

I would also reccomed feeding a hoof supplement if you dont already.

Have a look up on keratex its brill

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Agree with B&J and others,you could give it a try,i would just do as suggested backs off first,then fronts depending on how your TB copes,if you do want to try that is
smile.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Why not ask your farrier what he thinks, he is probably best placed to judge the quality of your mares hoof. I personnally would see how it goes with the hind off to start with.

Kris R

New User
www.bitlessequitation.co.uk
Have a look at Peter Ramey's site. www.hoofrehab.com

He is a farrier but doesn't shoe now only trims the barefoot way. My farrier attended a clinic recently and told me about him. I have bought and read one of his books Making Natural Hoofcare Work for you. It is easy to read and understand. A horse's foot is really so interesting.

My ponies have been barefoot for 7 years and they have not had any problems they can cope with all kinds of terrain now. Your horse has to go through a transition period and your farrier has to know how to trim the barefoot way, it isn't the same trim as is required before shoeing.

see also this site and you will be surprised

www.barefoothorses.co.uk