To snaffle or not to snaffle...

bex1984

Visit site
Murphy has been in his pelham for ages, following many failed attempts to get him in a snaffle. He's not strong in a snaffle, but loves his pelham.

Anyway, long story short, he now has sharers who are complete beginners so I've attempted to switch him to a snaffle again and found out that he jumps much better in it - hooray - so have been attempting to persist and see if he'd settle in it.

Took him showing yesterday and felt that he didn't do as well as he could have, because he was so tense in the snaffle. He will work in an outline and go forwards really nicely in his pelham, but is stuffy and tense in the snaffle, clenches his jaw, chucks his head in the air, basically very evasive (teeth checked, dentist can't see any physical reason for all this - thinks it's in his head).

So - do I persist with the snaffle and hope he settles? Do I just give up on him working nicely and stick with the snaffle? Do I school him in his pelham, jump in snaffle and ask sharers to ride in snaffle? Or is there another option?

We only go to shows a handful of times a year but when we do I like to think we've done it justice and done the best we can do.

Thoughts and opinions much appreciated... thankies :)

ThePony

Visit site
So very many different types of snaffle. It is likely that the one you are currently trying him with isn't suiting his mouth confo, not a problem with the type of bit itself. Also the pelham will be much more still in his mouth so it is quite a change.

What snaffle are you currently trying, and what mouthpiece did he have on his pelham? Also what is his mouth confo like?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
When you say "snaffle" what type do you mean?

Also had you considered losing the curb (assuming that's what you're worried about) by getting him the same mouthpiece as his pelham but with hanging cheeks and no shanks?

Crazydancer

Visit site
I went through exactly this with my boy, several years ago! He went best in his pelham (unjointed) so I switched to a straight bar egbutt snaffle so I'd look at this for an option. The mouthpiece is just slightly curved (mullen?) and he's now been in that for several years with no bother.

bex1984

Visit site
He has a mullen mouth pelham and a hanging cheek mullen mouth snaffle - same size, same shape and dentist reckons it suits the conformation of his mouth. I do feel its in his head really.

ThePony

Visit site
Sounds odd, esp as you have got a snaffle as close as possible to the pelham action! Do you ride mainly off the snaffle rein when he is in the pelham, in that case perhaps a mullen mouth eggbutt might suit? As he was in a different bit, was there any chance you could have been a little more tense when riding him? If he has a large tongue then a mullen mouth might not be giving enough space?

At the end of the day although we can try and get the theory of the bit choice as right as possible, the horse hasn't read the same books, so they reserve the right to like the 'wrong' bit and hate the 'right' one! Do people on the yard have different bits in the right size that you could try? You never know what he might feel he likes! If you are concered about novices riding him in the pelham, how would he be if you just took the curb rein off and they rode him on the snaffle rein?

Gorgeous George

Visit site
Hello stranger, hope you and the lovely Murphy are well :)

As you know George loves his mullen mouth pelham and kimblewick, but as I like to dabble in dressage a snaffle is needed. I found that I was able (with a lot of leg and patience :D) to get him going nicely in a NS verbindend loose ring lozenge snaffle (all the things I thought he hated!) - somehow with it he seemed to realise what I was asking of him. Every few weeks he decides that he doesn't like the NS so I put his mullen mouth eggbutt snaffle in and all is well again, then back to the NS and touch wood it seems to work :)

Maybe worth a try?

bex1984

Visit site
Sounds odd, esp as you have got a snaffle as close as possible to the pelham action! Do you ride mainly off the snaffle rein when he is in the pelham, in that case perhaps a mullen mouth eggbutt might suit? As he was in a different bit, was there any chance you could have been a little more tense when riding him? If he has a large tongue then a mullen mouth might not be giving enough space?

At the end of the day although we can try and get the theory of the bit choice as right as possible, the horse hasn't read the same books, so they reserve the right to like the 'wrong' bit and hate the 'right' one! Do people on the yard have different bits in the right size that you could try? You never know what he might feel he likes! If you are concered about novices riding him in the pelham, how would he be if you just took the curb rein off and they rode him on the snaffle rein?

RE: me being more tense, I don't think I was, he's been in the snaffle for about 6 weeks now so am used to it, know I can stop him etc.

He's been in all sorts of bits and the only thing he ever seems happy in is the pelham - I suspect he may have been broken in in it *rolls eyes*. I was taking the curb rein off for the sharers but they did worry about the pelham because it looks a bit complicated. Plus, having discovered that he jumps well in the snaffle I kind of don't want to get rid of it all together.

I really thought I might be able to work him through it this time round, but he clearly has other ideas!

bex1984

Visit site
Can you not use the snaffle for jumping and sharers and then swap to the pelham for showing?

This is what I'm thinking - I just don't like admitting defeat!! ;) Not sure how often to 'school' him in the pelham to keep him ticking over. He'll be so happy if I put it back in! Still - maybe he deserves it, he won 2 classes yesterday and got placed in another 3 classes :)

monkeybum13

Visit site
This is what I'm thinking - I just don't like admitting defeat!! ;) Not sure how often to 'school' him in the pelham to keep him ticking over. He'll be so happy if I put it back in! Still - maybe he deserves it, he won 2 classes yesterday and got placed in another 3 classes :)

It's not admitting defeat, if he is happy in the pelham for showing then keep him in it, anyway a pelham is more correct for showing in most classes :)

bex1984

Visit site
Hello stranger, hope you and the lovely Murphy are well :)

As you know George loves his mullen mouth pelham and kimblewick, but as I like to dabble in dressage a snaffle is needed. I found that I was able (with a lot of leg and patience :D) to get him going nicely in a NS verbindend loose ring lozenge snaffle (all the things I thought he hated!) - somehow with it he seemed to realise what I was asking of him. Every few weeks he decides that he doesn't like the NS so I put his mullen mouth eggbutt snaffle in and all is well again, then back to the NS and touch wood it seems to work :)

Maybe worth a try?

we've clearly both got awkward horses - good job they're lovely ;) xx