To ‘snip’ or not!?

pippixox

Visit site
So 3 months ago we rehomed a 3yo entire lab Jasper, from someone my husband used to work with who has split up with his girlfriend and he was homeless and she was not caring for the dog at all.....

Went to vets for check up a few weeks in to getting him to sort chip and because he was quite nervous she recommended to not rush to neuter. Our rescue collie girl is done anyway so no puppy risk at home.

Does anyone not neuter. But with no plan to ever breed. I know he will probably always scent mark anyway even if he gets the snip. He occasionally jumps on our girls back in play but no proper action if you get my drift! I have a tiny worry encase he accidentally got another dog pregnant but I don’t leave him running free among packs of in season girls!
( we have lost him briefly once at the yard because he found something gross to eat!)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Really helpful study: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

I have never cut my older dog, he’s totally disinterested in bitches, has never run off or humped.

I thoroughly regret neutering my fear aggressive dog, I don’t think it made him worse, but it was pointless/unnecessary.

On balance, after much research, I am against neutering males, although I’d spay a female in a flash. Lots of vets seem to neuter as standard, which I think is wrong. It should be case by case.

Clodagh

Visit site
Your vet sounds very sensible pippiox. I rarely see a neutered male as out shooting they are rare, and only the odd one is a sex pest. (And I have said it before but they usually belong to the male human equivalent).

{97702}

Visit site
I didn’t neuter the lurcher I had from a pup and he was always brilliant - no excessive marking or inappropriate behaviour :D

Every other dog I’ve had since then has been neutered as a rescue so couldn’t really comment - other than when my mum has has her dogs done it hasn’t made one iota of difference to temperament/outgoing-ness

pippixox

Visit site
Yeh the vet suggested there would be a slight risk of nervous aggression if we got him done. He is far more confident in general now he is settled, but certainly more submissive with other dogs and don’t want him to lose his confidence.

My GSD got done at 2 when we got him and he was already fear aggressive towards other dogs as spent 2 years with a few bossy dogs and no others and it may have made him worse or at least not helped/ I didn’t have a clue at the time

The vet did also say how cancers are prevented with females where as with boys if they do have cancer there you can then deal with it!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have had 4 dogs that I have neutered and one that I did not. Odin kept his equipment as he was never a dog dog, as in, even when kept with a (neutered) bitch he was not sexually driven. To be fair, he never really cocked his leg to pee reliably either, preferring to squat like the bitch.

Hector came to us as a (probably) 5-7 year old and entire as we found him skinny at the roadside. He peed everywhere so off with his whatnots! I am not sure that it made much difference, but that may be because e was entire for so long. He still air guitars my mum's dog anyway!

Abi90

Visit site
Boots is intact and the only dog he has ever humped is Tommy! And he’s not that interested in girls. He will be keeping his bits.

Tommy has to lose his as part of his adoption contract, which is fine. The vet suggested waiting until he is at least 1 as he is quite nervous and needs testosterone to boost his confidence. Thankfully the charity are very good and are happy for us to wait so as not to make his nervousness worse.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I have had 4 dogs that I have neutered and one that I did not. Odin kept his equipment as he was never a dog dog, as in, even when kept with a (neutered) bitch he was not sexually driven. To be fair, he never really cocked his leg to pee reliably either, preferring to squat like the bitch

Both of my younger dogs squat, both were neutered, Bear was a chronic humper. I have no idea why they squat, given Brig showed them the way and cocks his leg.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
neither of my current boys is neutered-I dont intend to breed from either. one is slightly anxious although much improved and the other, well research has shown that leaving that breed unneutered until at least 2 is better for their health. both scent mark, both hump but very rarely (Fitz only ever hump Quarrie during play occasionally, Quarrie occasionally will hump a pillow-I just redirect the behaviour).
They each had phases of more humping when growing up-they are both now just over 2yo. neither are fussed by bitches although its worth saying that I live away from other people and a walk where I meet other dog walkers is unusual and irritating :D
Allt eh other dogs I've had were neutered, for all the males I believe it was to their detriment health/temperament wise and the females were all rescues so out of my control-although I'd have neutered them anyway probably.

Annette4

Visit site
I always have with dogs and plan on with Dobby once he’s old enough. I don’t see the point of keeping him entire when I’ve no intention of breeding and him being entire at 10 months is already proving to be a nightmare for finding a day care/dog walker. I’ve never had an issue with a boy whose been done but I’m surrounded by out of control entire males which also is a massive off putting factor for me. I’m sick to death of the 3 local sex pest labs! (Yes I’m aware it’s their owners training at fault) . My sister has opted for the implant for her two which seems to be doing a fab job.