To the person who told me the 'armpit' trick!

BBP

Visit site
It's like i have had a riding epiphany (not sure how to spell that or if it's the right word...but a lightbulb moment anyway!)!!

After years of 'bend your elbows', 'thumbs on top' 'lift your hands' 'don't tip forwards' etc etc and never managing to crack it, I posted for CC on my riding, looking for useful analogies to help me improve my hands, legs, tipping...almost everything really!, and someone can up with a little tip saying 'close the back of your armpits'.

Well it's miraculous! My hands came up, my posture improved, I tipped less and my contact got stiller and softer. Little black pony almost breathed a sigh of relief saying thank god she has stopped faffing up there! He was softer and more consistent in his contact, it genuinely seemed to make the most massive difference. And the best part is that I find myself correcting myself and then seconds later having to do it again, I can just maintain it with minimal checking.

It's early days, I only posted about it a week ago, but I have had the best rides on him since then.

So thank you thank you thank you...and the pony thanks you too!!! (pics to follow when I manage to get a willing photographer - am hoping it looks as different as it feels)

Rafferoo

Visit site
My current trainer is fantastic for these sorts of little gems that stick in your mind and really help with your position. One memorable one is telling me to imagine that I have a really long nose (think pinnochio) or beak and that I have to push the horse around the circle from the outside using it. Works a treat and helps me to keep the horse straighter through its shoulder on small circles - occassionaly makes me laugh out loud : )

CrazyMare

Visit site
My instructor always says that to me - I think its fab!

Not sure if I've put it on here though, so don't think it was me! Lol

Bernster

Visit site
Ahh, that's so nice to read! It is great when you get these moments, and when someone explains it in a way you can understand.

I've had arm/contact issues and use arm cuffs (from Mary Wanless) and think about pressing my upper arms into my sides (brings my arms up, my shoulders down and my lats seem to get in on the act too). Not quite able to type it as it was described to me, but it works a treat :)

Def seems to be a common theme with bio-mechanical (is that the right word?) type instructors !

little_critter

Visit site
Not riding related but had a great tip on how to keep the trailer straight when reversing. Look in your mirrors, if the trailer appears in you left mirror turn the wheel towards it, if it appears in the right mirror turn the wheel right. Brilliant for stopping you over correcting and zig zagging

Walrus

Visit site
Oh, I think that might have been me on your thread with all the pictures. :) I got told it when I had a lesson with a ride with your mind instructor. I just wish I could remember to implement it more often!!! :D

Dunlin

Visit site
I always suffered from motorbike hands until my instructor made me do an hours dressage with 2 whips under my armpits and everytime I dropped one I owed her a Mars Bar. That's a really good one for keeping your thumbs on top.

The same instructor also made me ride around with a whip across the middle of my back and then threaded infront of my elbows. That's gives you a beautiful posture.

Taffyhorse

Visit site
My friend was told to 'ride your horse, like you ride your man' - very loudly so that anyone within a 50 mile radius could hear.

Not sure if she had a lightbulb moment about her 'riding' but her face was a picture!!

BBP

Visit site
My friend was told to 'ride your horse, like you ride your man' - very loudly so that anyone within a 50 mile radius could hear.

Not sure if she had a lightbulb moment about her 'riding' but her face was a picture!!

Hmm, I might stick to the other suggestions first...not sure my boyfriend would appreciate the spurs!

I think a few people mentioned the armpits, so pony and I are grateful to all of you. Hopefully I can find an amenable photographer soon. Even better will be if my instructor notices the difference when back from maternity leave!

Mrs B

Visit site
One that helped me was when trying (and failing!) to sit still and 'absorb' the canter into my seat: 'Imagine you're riding into the base of a wave, not over the top'.

But am going to try that armpit trick for sure!

Elsbells

Visit site
Who was it that said their instructor told them?

"Imagine your boobs are headlights on a car, drive them on high beam, never dip."

Ha! Love this and it works:D

BBP

Visit site
Just realised, I meant to say I 'don't' have to correct myself every few seconds. Hopefully you all knew what I meant!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Can I now say thankyou for posting this thread? :D

after reading it I gave it a try this evening as I especially struggle with my shoulders/back and it made a serious difference. Have to be careful not to fix my arm (easily done due to shoulder issues) but seriously made a huge difference and in turn horse went so much better. Will be doing it again tomorrow!

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
I found the main thing is it made me sit up straighter and I have been raising my right shoulder (due to problems with it) which helped even me out!

Will follow the same strategy tomorrow i.e. concentrating on me instead of horse and predominantly my shoulders and will let you know if I see same results ;) :D

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
I too tried this today and I agree,it is brilliant.Thank you for posting.

I also tried the ripe tomato visualization...........however it was deffo squashed tomato,but I will work on this.

It all fits in rather nicely with the jaffa orange under my chin,the tins of cat food suspended from my elbows and the 2 dead cod hanging either side of the saddle!:D

Mince Pie

Visit site
I too tried this today and I agree,it is brilliant.Thank you for posting.

I also tried the ripe tomato visualization...........however it was deffo squashed tomato,but I will work on this.

It all fits in rather nicely with the jaffa orange under my chin,the tins of cat food suspended from my elbows and the 2 dead cod hanging either side of the saddle!:D
LOL :D

Will have to try the whip and elbow tricks tomorrow :)

Scoundrel

Visit site
Can I now say thankyou for posting this thread? :D

after reading it I gave it a try this evening as I especially struggle with my shoulders/back and it made a serious difference. Have to be careful not to fix my arm (easily done due to shoulder issues) but seriously made a huge difference and in turn horse went so much better. Will be doing it again tomorrow!

I was just about to say exactly same all but word for word!!!
Excellent!!