to those of you whos neds are on ad-lib hay

my bfg

Visit site
How many slices count as ad-lib for your Ned overnight?

My mare has started showing symptoms of stomach ulcers so she's on ad-lib hay when stabled at night, have had a few comments regarding how much she gets through, at 8 slices a night (double netted) she still has a bit left in the morning, I'm happy with that so won't be cutting it down.

As a big horse I'm used to her appetite but was just wondering (being nosy really) how much other folks neds have?

PolarSkye

Visit site
Pops has (big bale) haylage in the winter and is currently getting a good two and a half/three slices - there is a little bit left in the mornings so I'm pretty sure he has enough (and we suspect he has/has has ulcers in the past). He is a 16.3hh Polish WB cross.

P

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My boys have just had their Christmas present early, a lovely round bale each !!! Once they work out they are not horse eating monsters they will be on ab lib hay!!!

If my horses were stabled I would feed enough so that there is a small amount left in the morning.

catkin

Visit site
Go on weight rather than slices.
Average requirements are between 2-3% of horse's body weight per day of dry matter (remember to calculate in the extra if your hay is say 85% dry matter)
For an ulcery horse err on the generous side so they are not left without something to nibble on. If there is some left in the morning that is good - and it doesn't have to be wasted, we find that our ponies are quite happy to eat each other's 'leavings' the following day. As long as they always have something available then they appear to pace themselves.
My ponies have levelled out on about 2.5% per day though they are on restricted grazing and have tiny amounts of hard food so their forage is their primary source of food.

cptrayes

Visit site
20kg a day haylage between a 15.2 cob and a 16.2 paint/qh. They have a little left every morning. Both four, still growing, and in light/medium work. They are in seven till nine overnight.

Last edited:

StormyMoments

Visit site
Rio gets 2 sections from a large bale... weighs between 25kg and 30kg (Hes 15hh). He usually has a little bit left in the morning but not a lot.

BSL

Visit site
I don't weigh hay (my bad), my arab has his manger (robinsons floor corner unit) filled, if that is empty in the morning , the next night, I fill a net as well. My shetland, has a hay net, or hay on the floor. If none in the morning, I give more the next night. Like to see a few dribs and drabs left in the morning. Neither of mine are over weight. I watch and listen to what they tell me. i am lucky though, neither stuff themselves for the sake of it.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Mine has at least two big slices on the floor, and then at least 4, probably more like 5 or 6 but I've not counted, in a net. But he's a picky thing and only likes it when it's come straight off the bale so will eat the hay on the floor and just ignore the net or eat the net and throw the stuff on the floor everywhere depending on which is new! At the moment he's eating the stuff on the floor and picking at the net. But I always have trouble getting him to eat as much as I think he should eat! He's a 16.1 TB and potentially has/had ulcers but if I put more than 2 slices on the floor it just gets thrown around... Nightmare horse!

only_me

Visit site
when he is in it is usually enough so that he has hay left in the morning - not hugely scientific, but can range from a full bale to half a bale, depending on how much he is eating :)

WelshD

Visit site
My sec a has three to four slices - in at about 4pm, out between 6.30 and 8.30am.
She's just about the right size currently :)

ditto but mine is 11.2, he gets the same in the morning again

The 13hh yearling has the same and is also out so has grass too

Tern

Visit site
Friend used to have a elderly tb mare that dropped weight too easily, she put a round bale in the field shelter and made a track from horse's field to field shelter.. it was like food on demand! :)

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
they come in 3pm and are in then until 6.30am.

get approx 5 slices each (15.1TB in decent work and 15.1hh 2yo WB).

doesnt sound much but theres always loads left(which gets recycled and given to bruce the next day!) and our grass is amazing so i doubt they come in hungry.

SuperH

Visit site
One of mine has as lib, the other doesn't. I give them both the same amount though, approx two large bale slices. The one hoovers the lot up the other will have some left. They both have ad lib straw as they are bedded on it (and lots of it). Both approx 14.2.

FairyLights

Visit site
mine are eating half a bale each at the moment but I expect that to increase this next week as it get colder. The grass has stopped growing now too. Both are about 15.2

Visit site
My boys (15hh and 15.3hh) are on ad-lib haylage and get approx 1-1/2 of big slices each per day. My Appy tends to eat less haylage though, as he is on more hard feed than the ISH. They never run out though and always have plenty left in the morning. :)

Holzdweaver

Visit site
My boy, when on hay, has half a bale of hay overnight (in from 5.30-7.00) which does him so theres a bit left in the morning, which goes in the field for him to pick through.
Three weeks ago he changed onto big bale square haylage and after the initial two week transition mixed period he is now on two slices of haylage a night with only a little waste. If he comes in early (if the weather isnt to his liking, he stands and weaves at the gate at about three in the afternoon!) he has an extra half a section to last.
Hes a 17yr old 15.3hh TB and when the vet was here on wednesday to do his boosters, she commented on what wonderful condition he was in :)