To those who have horses out 24/7

itsonlyme

Visit site
...do u only provide one water source? If so, where is it placed? Mine is at the field entrance, but the horses only drink from it when i catch them & take them to it! :/ They're too busy grazing the nicest part of the field, which is at the opposite end. I know that they know where the water is - they're just being lazy! But i worry they don't drink enough.
What do yours do? Also, do u 'feed' rain water?? :)

indie999

Visit site
Either type of water as long as the container is cleaned periodically ie more in the summer etc. But in winter wet grass etc I find they dont drink as much unless they are having hay when they will drink more or on a windy day they will drink more.

No dont have water by entrance due to mud but as long as its accessible it doesnt seem to matter where it is. I have seen mine drinking out of a large puddle in the field many times when there is one!

Once was lost

Visit site
We have a large trough near to the field shelter and they drink well from that. I wouldn't be massive keen to have the only water supply next to the gate due to mud, depending on how easy it would be for you to fill could you put another bucket of water out nearer to their favourite grazing spot or just away from the gateway mud?
I wouldn't worry about it though, they will drink what they need and get allot of water through grazing alone, as long as they are well and not showing signs of becoming dehydrated I really wouldn't worry about it.

russianhorse

Visit site
I also have a large trough by my lads' shelter, which is the furthest point of the field. When the trough freezes over / or like recently, sprung a leak, I wheel barrowed up a container of water for some buckets next to his shelter still. The reason being, when I left buckets by his gate, he never bothered drinking from there :rolleyes:

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
If they're thirsty, they'll drink! If you've had the sort of end-of-world rain we've had here in S Wales for most of the autumn/winter, they'll be taking in a surprising amount of water just by grazing.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
we have a small automatic drinker at the bottom of the paddock.
I never know how much they are drinking - but in winter when this freezes, I take a large trug bucket and keep it filled up. I can see that they do drink a reasonable amount. With this I place it in the oppposite corner to their automatic drinker. this is because its nearest to the yard and so less distance to carry water.

So in winter, they have 2 sources as I do break the ice in both and in summer they have one source.

itsonlyme

Visit site
Thanks everyone. i forgot to add though - our gateway isn't at all muddy :) There's hardcore there. Their field shelters are here too. When they only had access to part of the field, they'd drink fine, but since I've opened it all up, they're away on the other side all of the time.
Also, when i bring the horses in, they practically DRAG me to the water & are like 'omg, Im sooooo thirsty!' & drink a load in one go :/
Granted, this is less dramatic if we've had a lot of rain, but they're still always thirsty.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
If they're thirsty, they'll drink! If you've had the sort of end-of-world rain we've had here in S Wales for most of the autumn/winter, they'll be taking in a surprising amount of water just by grazing.

^^ This. If you think of 'paradise paddocks' it IS desirable to make your horse/pony travel to get their water/grass/hay etc. That is a very natural set up for a horse and emulates how a wild horse would have to travel and search for food and water to survive. Mine all drink rain water - I just make sure I scrub out the troughs regularly in the summer or if leaves get in them.

wil24702

Visit site
We have several dotted around as its a dairy farm however the horses frequently drink from puddles and the stream. In the snow last year they were offered water which they werent interested in and ate the snow instead! Quite happy to do so and didnt have any problems.

Phoebe+Sophie

Visit site
We have a automatic re-filling trough at the top of the field. When we rest the top which we are going to do soon we will strip graze them at the bottom. For water they will then have two massive tub trugs re-filled daily.:)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
One trough for one herd and two for the other. They will find water when they need it, they're not stupid... Well most of them!