To those who make hay, hows it going?

Patch55

Visit site
Just curious really! We had amazing amount of rain in the South east during May and now this sunshine, how is all the grass doing?
Will it be a good enough year to replenish stores after last year?

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
After a slow start our hay fields are really getting going now. The crop will certainly be a lot bigger than last year.

teddypops

Visit site
My hay fields are looking quite sparse but all the farmers fields around me are looking good, so hopefully it will be a better year for hay!

TheMule

Visit site
My haylage was baled today- decent yield off unfertilized fields that have been rested since last Summer's cut, it was definitely ready to be cut.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Silaging was done at the weekend and the clamp is full but the hay fields need another ten days to two weeks according to our farmer. I walked them this morning and the grass looks twice the height it was last year.

SEL

Visit site
I graze next to hay meadows and they've gone from ankle high at the beginning of May to knee high now. Fencing isn't the best and my horses are drooling over the grass.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Our grass is a long way off ready to be cut, but we will try to take a crop in June. We were hoping earlier, but looking at the length it'll be the second half, weather-willing.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I know,I was wondering about leaving mine out in the field overnight, but then I looked at how green the grass is and decided to continue to bring them in at night for a while yet, even though it is a pain and a job I could do without.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Not ready yet, however it’s doing really well! We fertilised for the first time in ages and it really needed it!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Only just getting the grass growing here! Some farmers are getting a first cut if silage now after a week of warmer but wetter temps. Our farmer isn’t confident of getting good cuts for hay at all ?

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
Our grass only really started getting going last week, so I'm hoping that now that the weather has finally warmed up, it will be looking a lot better in a couple of weeks. At the moment, it's pretty patchy.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Ours are very slow this year...our hay man checked it at the weekend and definitely nowhere near ready, he tells me it is a similar story elsewhere this year. Not worrying too much, I don't care how late its cut so long as it is cut at some point.

pixie

Visit site
Pixie what do you mean by this? Does it only really get growing after a month or so of good sun or something?

Meadow hay needs to be left to reseed itself. Its made of older, slow growing varieties (not rye!), so you only get one cut each year. Our meadow hay has 27 varieties of grasses.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Ours should be ready end of June this month of rain has been brilliant for it and looks like a really good crop after last year's disaster, just needs to stay dry whilst we get it in now!

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
My hay man has told me he is anticipating a better crop than last year. Expecting this year's prices to be £35 for big hay and £30 for big haylage.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Our hay fields were grazed until mid April and then fertilised when the horses came off and the grass is now lush, thick and knee-high. However, it won't get cut until mid/late July as that is when the YO likes to do it.

If the weather holds, it should be a better crop than last year.