To those who worry about your oldies chewing ability

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Read this article, hopefully you may find it useful!

Page 24-25

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1jzs1/E...fe-January-2010
smile.gif

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
My 14 year old has perked up loads since I put him on veteran mix a week ago. He is much more alert and looks happier and full of life. He has bad teeth. Vet and Dentist say there is nothing more they can do with him.i think perhaps he finds it hard to chew his food as well as he used to hence the veteran mix.
He has loads of tartar ( which I scrape off at times) and had a dodgy tooth last year, first left molar that has a big hole behind it. Vet filled it with some blue putty last year and said the the hole grew out so the tooth, did not need to be taken out but Jack still has foul breath.
Vet says he has gaps/pits in front incisors as well as probably other areas in the mouth, and I have to try to pick the rotten grass out from them, but its very difficult to do as I need both hands.

I really need one of those gadgets that vet/dentist uses to clamp the jaw open otherwise its a bit risky for my fingers and for Jack from the Plackers!

Would you know where I could get one, secondhand perhaps?
confused.gif

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
you could try e bay but if you do I would recommend getting the dentist in to make sure you know how to use it, I know it looks easy when we do it but it is a dangerous piece of kit and if the horse panics when it is on and you cant get it off, your horsey could do some terrible injuries to himself or you!

They are called Haussman Speculum. you are looking at around £150 min for one of e bay (not very well made though) but typically they are around £300-£500. Mine was from Idaho in the States and was $2000!

Tormenta

Visit site
Hi Victoria,

Do you mind if I ask some advice? I took on an 18 year old shetland mare from a charity over two years ago, obviously she is now 20 years old. When she first arrived with us as a companion I noticed she was quidding and pouching, it took us a few weeks of settling (because she was a case!!) before my Dentist could see her. Even then she had to have a re-appointment for sedation by my vet because she still would not take under mild sedative. Anyway, the outcome was that she had a hook almost an inch long on one side and another on the opposite of half an inch (My dentist held it up to me to see after he had cut) She also needed extensive filing compared to my other horses and ponies. Now she had been with this charity for many years and amongst varying owners (who should have had regular inspections done) but she ended up like this. I was not very amused to say the least.

Anyway my Dentist told me that she will now always have problems with her teeth even with regular dental care and she may suffer in the future because her teeth have never really been looked after (In old age) She may have to have more nutritional care which may limit her lifespan? I am not in anyway dismissing my dentist because he is superb but just wondered what your advice would be?

Thanks so much if you can
smile.gif