Today I went to heaven!!

trendybraincell

Visit site
So today I got the final part of my christmas present from my trainer/best friend...and I imagine I'm about to make a few competition riders a tad jealous :D

Along with Miss_C, I was lucky enough to go to Mr Carl Hesters' yard for a ridden demo :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The morning consisted of demos from 4 different horses all at slightly different stages in their training...the aim to show us how they approach training at each level. Sadly there aren't any photos of the ridden demos, I did ask but was told best not to and being the fantastic Mr Hester I certainly wasn't going to be naughty!!!

So things kicked off with one of his riders and the most enormous chestnut beast I've ever seen. He was rising 6 but Carl said he was more like a 5yr old simply because of his size! They're taking things slowly with him, letting him develop at his pace, apparently he had a bit of an attitude (didn't get on with Charlottes riding) so was ridden by one of the other girls, who will be representing New Zealand at the Olympics :)

Second horse in was Don Archie, ridden by Charlotte. He was quite something indeed. A horse that just seems to find things so easy and yet as a four year old had learnt he could just buck people off to get out of doing anything! From the sounds of Carl, they have high expectations for him and I can see why. Working on the tempis he was happy to do the one times without being asked. His piaffe & passage although not perfect yet is still something to behold and as he's only 8 you can just see he's going to get better and better!!

Next in was Nip Tuck, another 8yr old but with a very different temperament to Don Archie. Carl told us that he was so hot & sensitive that the only way he was able to get any leg on was skipping the basics and teaching him all the moves, he demonstrated how a steep leg yield in canter enabled him to put his leg on and keep the control. You can see this is a horse Carl really enjoys riding, when he got on he was just playing the whole time, transition within the pace.

Next in was Charlotte again riding Fiona Bigwoods' Wie Atlantico, who really is a lovely gentleman. Here they demonstrated how important their relationship is. Explaining that now having 7 judges the importance of perfection in every movement. Carl & Charlotte are very lucky to have each other and its a partnership that really works, they compliment each other very well.

Finally, Dances With Wolves. This is a horse I was particularly excited to see :) It was wonderful to hear Carl speak so fondly of both the horse and Jane Gregory. It was also nice to hear that Carl is human and felt for the first few months that he couldn't ride him :eek: Clearly things have changed as they are a winning combination!!

I could have sat there all day and watched, getting to see the training aspect is just so helpful. The whole team is set up to really get the most out of each horse and they very clearly have their sights set on Olympic gold!! I could go on forever but I'll leave you with a couple of pictures from the yard

Posh gates
IMG_5443.jpg

Valegro
IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

Wie Atlantico
IMG_5436.jpg

I have tried to resize them but apparently photobucket is ignoring that fact!!

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Wow, sounds amazing. I bet you learnt loads what a lovely present too!
How did you manage to go there for the demo ( as in how can I get myself there lol???)

trendybraincell

Visit site
Wow, sounds amazing. I bet you learnt loads what a lovely present too!
How did you manage to go there for the demo ( as in how can I get myself there lol???)

I had nothing to do with the planning, it was all my lovely trainer. I would imagine you could email Claudine (Carls PA) and she would be able to give you all the details.

I would very much recommend it to anyone. I found it especially useful as I don't get to watch many other people training and you can learn so much for other peoples approach and their progress...plus it was Carl Hester!!!!!!!

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I attended one of the demo days last autumn and thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The whole team were very welcoming. The demo was extremely informative. Highly recommend going if you get the opportunity.

Cheiro1

Visit site
Glad you had a good day :D

My YO trains with Carl and I find it fascinating watching her lessons and the way he teaches :D