Today is the day!!

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Some of you may remember that our boy, Magic, had colic surgery at the beginning of the year.
During surgery they took biopsies of his colon and small intestines as parts of the wall appeared thickened. Result was inflammatory bowel disease. There then followed a 9 week course of steroids (slowly reducing over that time) with 6 weeks box rest and six weeks in a small pen. His diet has been modified and everything new that goes in his mouth is introduced very slowly.
Apart from some initial worrying signs he has not really coliced since surgery and has gone from a skinny mini in the early days to a really good shape now, just lacking muscle.
This afternoon my vet is coming out for his final check!! I am scared to hope but as far as I am aware, assuming the vet is happy, he could be allowed to start being a normal horse again, with unlimited turnout and a slow return to exercise.
12 weeks ago we were ready to say goodbye to him and I can't believe that not only is he still here with us now but that he is bright as a button and telling us that he doesn't want to be in a confined space anymore. Dare I hope that he might return to his old ridden self to??!!
Please cross your fingers for our visit later :)

be positive

Visit site
My friends dressage horse was diagnosed with IBD just after yours, his was done with ultrasound and biopsies so his recovery was faster, treatment much the same, steroids and a change of diet, he improved rapidly, rescanned about 4 weeks later and everything looked good so steroids reduced, work started and he is now aiming for the BD winters, something they had thought impossible a few months ago.

I hope your boy has an equally good prognosis and you get the news you want today, the fact that he has improved and not had colic since must be a sign everything is on track for a full recovery.

RubysGold

Visit site
Keeping everything crossed that the vet is happy with how he is doing
Those days at the start of the year must have been very scary and horrible, hope he makes a full recovery and can be ridden again :)

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Thank you for your kind wishes!!
However false alarm!! Vet had to cancel appointment yesterday due to an emergency colic call and I was really in no position to argue based on our past experience!! Re-booked for Monday.
So disappointed as really hoped he could go back with his friend in the normal paddocks but he's had to go back into his small pen with hay for another 3 days :(
Somehow I'm sure he knows as is very grumpy about it!!