Today's wide and slow award...

Visit site
We had an idiot tractor driver who refused to slow down the other day. He did stop once he had passed us as I ended up backwards down a ditch! The french drain gave way underneath my horse and we avoided the fence by millimetres! He was working next to the yard yesterday removing a fallen tree so I went and had a word with him. He was very sheepish about it all! Even more so when I exaggerated the price tag of the horse that went down the ditch and then totted up the price tags of the rest of rhe string - it made the cost of his tractor look like pennies in your pocket!

scruffyponies

Visit site
Long whip with something visible on the end. Horse 1m from the edge. Hold the stick out to the side as you move your horse into the space you have created. We shouldn’t have to ride defensively but it’s better to know how when you need to
I don't know anybody who rides more defensively than I do - up to and including moving further out into the road when things don't slow. This woman was ignoring the half tonne of section D I was riding, and didn't seem very good at judging the width of her vehicle either, so nothing I waved would have made any difference

Hopefully she will have noticed her wing mirror nearly ending up on the road behind her.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Sorry to hear about this incident.
Please report it on the www.horseaccidents.org.uk website.
If this is happening frequently in your area then you could ask your local police to carry out a 'Close Pass' (Operatio Velo) in your area.
If you Google this it will show you how this works.
I am happy to report Peter that our little town is generally a very safe place to ride a horse. I would bet my house that she was not local.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
... Goes to the lady doing 30 in a 20 mph zone who didn't slow down, and passed so close that her wing mirror hit me. If it hadn't folded back it'd have broken my foot.
Actually I think this is hit and run as she hit you not the horse, please consider reporting this to the police it could have been worse, but image if this was a kid on a bike or pony?

scruffyponies

Visit site
Actually I think this is hit and run as she hit you not the horse, please consider reporting this to the police it could have been worse, but image if this was a kid on a bike or pony?
I'd love to Holly, but my description of 'black car' with two occupants, driver believed female, would be a waste of police time.
I'm not good at descriptions at the best of time, and didn't get chance to react, let alone take a number plate.

Nasicus

Visit site
I'd love to Holly, but my description of 'black car' with two occupants, driver believed female, would be a waste of police time.
I'm not good at descriptions at the best of time, and didn't get chance to react, let alone take a number plate.
You might be surprised. There could already be previously reported incidents matching the description, perhaps even having a number plate.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I hack when I need to on the road to get to the bridle path network. I carry the longest schooling whip I can find horizontally into the road and have found when that rattles down the side of the car it concentrates the drivers mind. A head cam in this day and age with the attitudes of drivers as they now are would not go amiss either.

twiggy2

Visit site
I had a parrelli type stick for hacking out, I would hold it out into the traffic when needed to create space, it's heavy and takes some getting used to carrying but it is also more visible to other road users.
It was on only one occasion used to hit a car (in a couple used to hit aggressive dogs), the car was hit because the driver tried to fit it in the 3-4ft gap between myself and the pony I was long lining.
The driver was not happy that I hit his car so he stopped, we had words, something along thw lines of...
Me 'what we're you Doing/thinking?
Car driver 'the other car flashed me... '
Me 'well if there is no room the world and his wife can flash you but there will still be nowhere to go'
I still have no idea what was going through his mind...
My friends daughter though it was all hysterical but told me I was a little scary ???

Snowfilly

Visit site
Oddly, in many years of riding on the roads, the one thing I accidentally found makes a huge difference is the wearing of a stock coat and a wide brimmed hat. Nobody messes with you when you look like Clint Eastwood!

Best thing I ever found was hacking out on an 18.3 tank of a clydesdale, drivers were all scared of him! He never got squashed past.

I'll try the Eastwood look, I've got a proper poncho somewhere...

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We always found that they gave sisters 16hh Westphalian Kalt blood (about one tonne of horse) loads of room, but would skim past the 15.3 araby built Appy (500kg). The one most likely to land on their car was the Appy, who while good in traffic could be ridiculous about things on verges! The big mare was solid as a rock 99% of the time.

Voz

New User
Visit site
Jeez, glad your OK! Carry a whip with a spike at the end.... That keeps em away!

OH got me a bodycam for Christmas, also a wise investment!
Sorry to jump on an old post I am trying to find a bodycam/.headcam what did you get and do you recommend it please? thank you

Cloball

Visit site
Best thing I ever found was hacking out on an 18.3 tank of a clydesdale, drivers were all scared of him! He never got squashed past.

I'll try the Eastwood look, I've got a proper poncho somewhere...

I'm not sure I used to hack a 17.3 tank of a cob X TB and a 4x4 still tried to squeeze past us, his bottom nearly ending up on the bonnet. It's a good job he was so laid-back the horse I was hacking with 15.2 eventer not so much but he gave them way more room.

Lintel

Visit site
Sorry to jump on an old post I am trying to find a bodycam/.headcam what did you get and do you recommend it please? thank you
AKASO V50 X Action Camera, Native 4K Wifi Underwater 40M EIS Anti-Shake Cam with Touch Screen, Remote Control, Waterproof Case and Mounting Accessories Kit

It's on amazon, comes with a range of ways and options to fit it. I tend to use the body or hat fitting.
Very good pictures too, and also very robust!

Voz

New User
Visit site
AKASO V50 X Action Camera, Native 4K Wifi Underwater 40M EIS Anti-Shake Cam with Touch Screen, Remote Control, Waterproof Case and Mounting Accessories Kit

It's on amazon, comes with a range of ways and options to fit it. I tend to use the body or hat fitting.
Very good pictures too, and also very robust!
Thank you very much that's great I will amazon shop now. thank you

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I ignore the bad and praise the good now, I got fed up of feeling like i was fighting all the time with drivers. I did have a conversation with a cyclist last week though when he came up silently behind me so i shouted what he should have said 'COMING UP BEHIND YOU HORSE RIDER' with the reply 'THANKS CYCLIST MUCH APPRECIATED' He just looked at me and said he'd just finished a night shift ..... I said lovely and you didnt nearly make it home, trust me you will come off worse than me if my horse double barrels you!
Glad your ok OP, dont forget to report to BHS.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site

If you want some more alternatives Dyllymoo recommended a cambox, the isi3 version, on a thread yesterday https://store.camboxhorse.com/en/24-sales

Did a search for hatcam/hat cam, and found that Summit, and Dixie, also recommended the Cambox on another thread.

ElectricXmasTree recommended a Xiaomi Yi action camera in this reply from 2018: https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/hatcam-recommendations.769637/#post-13879581

This thread from 2019 is about body cameras, but Jnb's, and Reacher's replies mentions hat cams
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/what-body-cams-do-people-recommend.782360/#post-14132811

And another thread from October 2019, with several different camera recommendations:
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/bit-of-guidance-needed-please.781593/

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Last Saturday morning I was walking along a road, in the road because the footpath was blocked by cars parked on it for about 300m, when a driver coming in the opposite direction to me got too close and hit my forearm. The flipwit driver had loads of room to get past me, but clearly was more interested in chatting with a passenger than on watching the road.

OH was annoyed at me for not getting out of the way.

If she had not been with me I would not have let the mirror hit me, I would have punched it hard enough to bend it back and possibly break the glass in it. I've done this a dozen times or so... no matter how big and burly the drivers are, they never got out to challenge me about it. I think that they get the message that If I am prepared to hit that hard, they're better off keeping out of my way. The good thing is that it really doesn't take a lot of strength or even technique to break a wing mirror: they are designed to fold away or break in the event of a collision. (I mean ordinary cars, here... buses, trams and artic tractors are a different kettle of fish entirely)

Your OH was annoyed at you for not getting out of the way? But you said the footpath was blocked by parked cars. So what did your OH expect you to do, jump up on one of the parked cars? Magically make them disappear so you could get back up on the footpath again? Sprint 300m as if you where Steven Gardiner?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Your OH was annoyed at you for not getting out of the way? But you said the footpath was blocked by parked cars. So what did your OH expect you to do, jump up on one of the parked cars? Magically make them disappear so you could get back up on the footpath again? Sprint 300m as if you where Steven Gardiner?

I could, strictly speaking, have made a little jump ahead and to the left, stepping in front of her (and maybe stepping on her toes), rather than staying alongside her. But as I mentioned, the car had plenty of room to avoid me; what I didn't mention was that I there was a good hand and a half between me and the front wing.

By the way, who is Steven Gardiner?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Yes I have the cambox isi3 and its very good. Battery life is only around 1.5 hours but you can stop and start it (via your phone or a button on the camera) or they sell a battery pack which you can connect it to whilst hacking (although not sure I would like the wire hanging down if I'm honest although not tried it.

I find it nicer than a go pro as it is "hidden" under the peak of the hat and not cumbersome as some. Very good quality video and good sound as well (I always sound hideous on it as I talk constantly)

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
I could, strictly speaking, have made a little jump ahead and to the left, stepping in front of her (and maybe stepping on her toes), rather than staying alongside her. But as I mentioned, the car had plenty of room to avoid me; what I didn't mention was that I there was a good hand and a half between me and the front wing.

By the way, who is Steven Gardiner?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.