Toilet/showers in horseboxes, how much do you use yours??

chocolategirl

Visit site
Hi everyone. Just curious really but for those of you that have them in your horse-boxes, do you use them much or at all? I know it's a strange question, but who empties it, do you argue over it and where do you empty the waste? Sorry I know it's a bit of an odd question but I'm trying to decide if it's worth having one in new lorry as there always seems to be toilets at the events we go to so is there really a need? Do they take up valuable room and payload unnecessarily? Thanks!

EventingMum

Visit site
We only use the toilet if the onsite ones aren't good and through the night if someone is desperate. OH is in charge of emptying it :). The shower is rarely used as a decent shower would drain the water tank too much and tend to use onsite ones. If they are grim a good wash with hot water from the basin usually suffices although I do use the shower to wash my hair if needed.

conniegirl

Visit site
I wouldn't be without mine. I do quite a few overnight and week long shows and there is nothing quite so grim as a county show toilet block at 7am on the last day of a week long show. I don't perticularly want the bubonic plague! Rule with my loo is that only number 1s are allowed if you need a number 2 then you have to go to the show loos. I empty mine into the loo at the yard. Because I put the correct fluid in it it is not a horrid job

ann-jen

Visit site
I'm in the process of getting a new box too and will be getting a loo with folding sink unit put in. My current box has a portapotty in it which is pretty much a bucket with a seat on the top. I have to lift it out of a cupboard which is a pain in the arse and tip the contents down the loo at the yard to empty it. But I do use it loads! Often the loos at events are pretty nasty or on long journeys I have pulled over to use it on the odd occasion! So wouldn't be with out one. On the new lorry I think it will actually flush which will be a luxury and has a waste port on the outside for removing and manky stuff!
I've never had a shower tho and won't be getting one in the new lorry either. On the odd two day show I've done or camp (ingliston/somerford) there have been showers there that I could use and as the vast number of outings I do are day trips only it just doesn't seem worth it.

becca1305

Visit site
I use the toilet quite a bit as I often rush to get ready then realise I need a wee! (or think I do, turns out its just nerves ;) ). We don't have to empty it very regularly as only use the toilet for emergency wees! Its not a particularly gross job due to clever design of the container (the opening being a long way from the handle) and putting plenty of chemical in it designed to prevent smell in waste tanks.

I don't have a shower and don't miss having one, I think they're impractical in a 7.5ton requiring a water heater (more weight) and an extra water tank (more weight again). I would have one in a HGV as the weight wouldn't be an issue and if I bought one it would be because I wanted to do more stay away shows.

Last edited:

Annie B.

Visit site
I don't have a shower and don't miss having one, I think they're impractical in a 7.5ton requiring a water heater (more weight) and an extra water tank (more weight again). I would have one in a HGV as the weight wouldn't be an issue and if I bought one it would be because I wanted to do more stay away shows.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I am still having to reply with a quote to allow me in.I have a shower on my 7.5 horse box used on hot days after running round in a tweed it is fab to freshen up and put t shirt and shorts on. We stay away in our box quite a bit but mostly motor bike racing so we have a water heater a two water tanks so I can carry 140 litres if we want . Our box is stalled for 3 but I only show 1 at a time so I don't worry about weight but do have a horse shower on as well. Loo is only for wees but we use it a lot as I hate loos at venues and race tracks, husband empties it says he doesn't mind so I don't mind letting him. We also use the box like a camper when we go to Burghley horse trials the horse area is amazing for all my shopping. We stay away in box up to 2 weeks at a time so we have made it a home from home.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Absolutely never - someone did a sneaky poo in ours at a county a few years ago and that was the last time it was used. It is now filled with nets, buckets and rugs - handy storage but mostly to stop people using it as none of us like the job of emptying it!!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I use the loo frequently, it's one with a large storage tank underneath so emptying it is a matter of connecting a pipe, parking over a drain and opening a valve :) I loathe showers so don't use that although the rest of the family do, however I find having a large space set up for an all over flannel wash is useful.

We've done camping trips in ours, stayed over at shows, been away at events for 18 hour periods, and camped out in it for a month when lambing.

I find having a loo so convenient (read necessary :( )that I have a cassette loo that goes in the back of my landrover if I'm going to be out in it for a long time away from "facilities".