Tokyo Pentathlon SJ

asmp

Visit site
Anyone else about to watch this? Heard on the BBC today that it’s going to a much shorter competition at the next olympics so assume that they’ll probably drop the show jumping.

our Brit is in 6th place at the moment

SOS

Visit site
Not on the same level but we did a similar thing as university for BUCS riding team. Pick a random horse at a competitors stable out of a hat, see it warm up, have 10 minutes to warm up then dressage test at supposedly novice level. Then with the jumping same thing, 3 or 4 warm up jumps and then a 85cm course. In the regional finals it was 95cm.

Lots of fun and teaches you loads to just get on and get the job done as much as possible. It’s a very strange feeling entering a ring on a horse you barely know and tests your riding!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not on the same level but we did a similar thing as university for BUCS riding team. Pick a random horse at a competitors stable out of a hat, see it warm up, have 10 minutes to warm up then dressage test at supposedly novice level. Then with the jumping same thing, 3 or 4 warm up jumps and then a 85cm course. In the regional finals it was 95cm.

Lots of fun and teaches you loads to just get on and get the job done as much as possible. It’s a very strange feeling entering a ring on a horse you barely know and tests your riding!
i did that too, i know these athletes often get a slating but it's a huge ask - these are 1.20m!

milliepops

Visit site
Yes I have some sympathy for them. Especially with the training it must take to get to this level for all 5 disciplines.
there won't be that many people on this forum who SJ 1.20m on their own familiar horse ;) let alone attempt it as part of a range of sports. i am not sure it really makes sense as a sport tbh, riding is so bleddy dangerous if you're not suitably competent :eek: let's hope some of the others are better!

Annagain

Visit site
i did that too, i know these athletes often get a slating but it's a huge ask - these are 1.20m!

Me too - the thought terrifies me these days. It's taken me a year to start jumping Charlie!

Although I think we had the horses demonstrated to us and we decided who was best to ride which horse rather than picking a horse out of the hat?

SOS

Visit site
there won't be that many people on this forum who SJ 1.20m on their own familiar horse ;) let alone attempt it as part of a range of sports. i am not sure it really makes sense as a sport tbh, riding is so bleddy dangerous if you're not suitably competent :eek: let's hope some of the others are better!

I hope so! It’s a big course to go wrong on. The first horse seemed very sweet though

milliepops

Visit site
this horse looks like a handful! fair play to them they have so little time to figure out how to ride them.

milliepops

Visit site
Yep. so far this seems to be a really good group of horses, OK they are all quite different but they've all been pretty generous. i remember one year thinking some of the horses were making it additionally difficult. most of these riders look pretty decent.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
What I dont understand is, it looks from the ground like this course has been jumped before.

Do we think the horses have been trained around the fences in advance? Maybe this was used as a training course as well?