Tom McEwen's Diesel has failed the first horse inspection

Alfami

Visit site
Whhhhaaaaaaattttt! OMG. Lots of questions / thoughts / comments that I could write, but PLEASE all who reply to this remember that Tom will be absolutely devastated, whatever the circumstances he won't have wanted that to happen. Poor Tom, not a great way to receive your first Senior flag.

lex2501

Visit site
Poor poor Tom. If he cares for his horses with as much sympathy as he rides them then I have every faith that any negative comments put on this thread can be totally and utterly ignored!

sportsmansB

Visit site
Very surprised at that happening given all the support available there, am sure that all horses were watched in advance of trot up by team manager/vet/etc and most riders would know if theirs was ropey
Irish are all through

Nicnac

Visit site
Awful news for him and his team. All I saw on Twitter was that his horse cantered in the trot up so no idea why he was spun.

Can't imagine how dreadful he must be feeling right now :-(

Badders

Visit site
British Eventing's explanation is that Diesel became a little sore in his back while travelling, that it's nothing serious. How sad for Tom. :(

teapot

Visit site
Poor him. Awful news at your first team GB call up.

So what does this mean for the team? Do we have a reserve?

Don't technically have a reserve or need one - it's a team of four (Lucy W, Pippa F, Tina C and WFP) and Izzy Taylor's the individual as would Tom has been too.

Must be absolutely devastating for him :(

oldvic

Visit site
Awful news for him and his team. All I saw on Twitter was that his horse cantered in the trot up so no idea why he was spun.

Can't imagine how dreadful he must be feeling right now :-(

He was spun because he was lame.

They would have just asked him to go again if it was the cantering that didn't give them a chance to see if he was sound. That he was sent straight to the holding box shows he was lame before he cantered. Even if the holding vet can't find a reason for the lameness, they have to look acceptable.