Tongue issues...is bitless the answer? Help!

Hippona

Visit site
OK...could be long.....

Our pony ( highland of unknown breeding) is just turned 8. We have owned him since he was 4- he had been backed and ridden away at that point.

He was bitted with a single jointed loose-ring snaffle and was wearing a flash- he has some white hairs on his nose (only 2or 3) which looks as though he has at some point had his noseband used too tightly:mad:. I was told when I bought him that he had a tendency to open his mouth but reckoned it was an age thing.

Well.....he has consistently resisted the bit. He constantly tries to get his tongue over it, opens his mouth....is heavy in the hand and is distracted.

2 different EDT's and 2 vets have all given the same opinion- no problems with his teeth- just he has a thick/large tongue and not much room in his mouth.

I have tried all possible bits...double jointed, ported, hanging cheek french links -he's had Mylers, Nueue Schules....the lot..... he is currently in an Old mac Pee-Wee bit and I thought we had cracked it but after only a few weeks he is back to his old tricks. Teeth were done a month ago - no problems. He has a cavesson noseband only loosely done up.

He is a lovely pony- never strong, does as he is told- on the lazy side if anything- will hack out and pop a jump- will school nicely until he starts messing with his mouth and then its game over- he's just so distracted.

I'm thinking bitless may be the only option I have left....has anyone else had similar problems ? Did bitless work for you?

Have a cuppa and a vanilla slice :)

quirky

Visit site
Yes, my youngster had teeth problems. Both EDT and vet think it would be traumatic/difficult to resolve, so we went bitless.
Initially, it was going to be temporary, to see if teeth sorted themselves out. We started off in an English hackamore but moved to a micklem when I realised it was going to be permanent.
What I would say, is that bitless wouldn't have suited any other horse I have had. So, I have been very, very lucky, else I'd have had an unrideable 4 yr old.

dianchi

Visit site
Have you tried a grackle noseband? Failing that although you say you have tried neule schule have you actually spoken to heather there?

quirky

Visit site
No....its next on my list:D Do you use one?

I use one. I am most impressed with it :)
I like the fact that there are 3 different 'control' settings. The most severe setting is the same as the Dr Cooke's bridle.

I started off on the mildest setting, having come from a hackamore, but I didn't feel my steering was precise enough, so I went onto the medium setting.
Having ridden like that for a couple of months, I went back to the mildest setting.

I think it was probably more me having the confidence to trust the milder setting than any problem with the horse.

I would never have considered going bitless but having been forced down that route, I am very happy with it :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
No....its next on my list:D Do you use one?

Yes but not very often as a bitless I use it a lot I lunge in it and use for a horse who has a jaw problem and a noseband irritates it .
The bit is very stable in mouth with one some horses definatly prefer them.
I am not a fan of bitless saw too many horses with the fronts of their faces disfigured with awful bony growths in my youth so I avoid that at all costs .
I think there's some where that's hires micklems try a search on competion riders I think it was on a thread there.

kezz86

Visit site
I use one. I am most impressed with it :)
I like the fact that there are 3 different 'control' settings. The most severe setting is the same as the Dr Cooke's bridle.

I started off on the mildest setting, having come from a hackamore, but I didn't feel my steering was precise enough, so I went onto the medium setting.
Having ridden like that for a couple of months, I went back to the mildest setting.

I think it was probably more me having the confidence to trust the milder setting than any problem with the horse.

I would never have considered going bitless but having been forced down that route, I am very happy with it :)

If a micklem multibridle doen't work for you I've used a Dr Cook on two of my horses and both have gone fab in them I love mine and am currently saving to buy a leather one as a bit of a treat as I've currently only got a beta one!

quirky

Visit site
If a micklem multibridle doen't work for you I've used a Dr Cook on two of my horses and both have gone fab in them I love mine and am currently saving to buy a leather one as a bit of a treat as I've currently only got a beta one!

Oh no, I'm more than happy with my Micklem.
I wouldn't go for Dr Cooke's because it would be the equivalent of riding the Micklem on the most severe setting, when in reality we do very well on the mildest setting :)