Tongue over bit constanty. Peewee, Waterford?? Help.

mastermax

Visit site
Hi my new horse has a large tongue and fleshy mouth and is constantly putting his tongue over the bit. Everything imaginable has been checked and he is fine. Apparently he didnt do this before I had him. I have been through my enttire bit bag and tried everything. I am loathe to put him in a flash as this is just masking his problem and I want to him to be comfortable. I am planning on hunting him in the next couple of weeks so will need some brakes.
Has anyone, please, got any suggestions or experience. I have heard the peewee bit or a waterford mouthpiece can help prevent this and wondered if anyone has tried this.
Many thanks

Copperpot

Visit site
Mine used to do this. I tried a pee wee but no joy. He went nicely in the school in an NS verdibend but for hunting I needed something stronger. In the end in bought a bomber happy tongue bit and he was happy in this.

mastermax

Visit site
What is he in currently? Have you tried popping the bit up a hole first of all?

Hi Kat, I tried him first in a loose ring jointed snaffle, then I tried him in a french link version and yesterday I put him in a mylor comfort snaffle level 1. I did try putting the bit up a hole but he hated this and it all looked too tight.

Copperpot

Visit site
I hired mine from them before I bought it. Think it was £8.50 to hire for a month. Horse retired now and unfortunately sold all his NS bits but if these don't work I do have the bomber happy tongue you could try before you splashed out £85! I've kept it just in case he ever comes right again :)

Sol

Visit site
I think a Peewee might be worth trying, especially if he prefers the bit a bit lower? Dante has a very short mouth (his lips end far sooner than I'm sure they should!) so I can't take any bit very high in his mouth, so the PeeWee works well there - it also allows me to stop him :p None of the horses I've used it on have had a major problem with putting their tongues over the bit, although all have tried it at some point, but never had a problem in the PeeWee. All of them though I've found preferred unjointed bits, which I still find slightly puzzling as most horses seem to prefer them - I only ever tried the waterford on Dan once though & will never do it again :eek: :eek:

TarrSteps

Visit site
Also, have a look at the Informed Design bits. I'm not sure I'm down with the whole program but I've used the mullen mouth successfully, along with a loose drop, to reschool a horse with a tongue issue. Be aware it might not be as simple as finding the right bit and hey presto, the horse never does it again. If you find something he's obviously much better in then the last little bit of improvement may come with schooling.

oldvic

Visit site
Some horses that put their tongue over the bit are most comfortable in a straight happy mouth with a flash noseband. It hasn't got to be tight to do the job. We put the top as high as possible and secure enough that the bottom strap doesn't pull it down and the bottom strap a little looser. This has solved the problem with a horse that has consistently done it since he was 4 and is now 8. Other horses have reacted in the same way.